Nine-month-old Silkie still hasn't laid an egg. Is that normal?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by bawkbawkbawk, Mar 17, 2012.

1. bawkbawkbawk

bawkbawkbawk Chillin' With My Peeps

I finally have five out of my six hens laying, but little Miss Silkie can't seem to be bothered. She will sit on the nest for an hour or two at a time but no egg ever appears. I know Silkies aren't big layers, but is it common for them to be completely non-layers?

2. FireTigeris

FireTigeris Tyger! Tyger! burning bright

I have two of three silkie crosses to GLW that don't lay but once or twice a month.

3. bawkbawkbawk

Once or twice a month seems to make sense. But NEVER? She has not laid one egg. Ever.

Good thing she's cute...[​IMG]

4. FireTigeris

She may be from a really slow to mature line, or she's lazy... Had a silkie rooster who was black didn't crow till he got away from the big boys at about one year

5. Avienda

Avienda Out Of The Brooder

Mar 13, 2011
    Sapulpa, OK
    I've been wondering the same thing! I have 6 silkie hens that will be 1 year at the end of April and I've still not gotten one single egg from them! I know they mature slower then other breeds but this slow??

6. FireTigeris

Yes pretty much, they will likely lay the spring in or after they are a year old. Some mature really slowly, some lines got something in them that they are quicker.

7. aoxa

aoxa Overrun With Chickens

I have a silkie about the same age that has yet to lay. I also have younger ones that have started. Obviously her mother laid (duh!), but she sure is taking her sweet time! I think she may be getting close! I saw her squat for my roo yesterday for the first time ever, and in my experience, my roos predict when they are close to laying within a couple of weeks. Only if the hens let them mate, not if he forces himself.

It will be a proud day when Lorraine finally lays! I'll tell you that right now!

8. bawkbawkbawk

Well, at least I'm glad to hear mine is not the only one. She spent the entire day on the nest today. Still has never laid an egg. So should I assume she's going broody without ever having laid an egg? How backwards is that?!

Starting to think she's not so bright. Good think she's cute!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by