Nine months old and molting?

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by BethieofVA, Nov 21, 2010.

1. BethieofVA

BethieofVA Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    I have noticed a few feathers here and there, but just now I see bare spots around her eyes and top of her head. She is a nine month old RIR. I know the days are short, but she has not given me an egg for about three days now. Also, I see downy looking feathers or tufts over her wings and body. Does this sound like a molt in the making to you?

Thanks!!

2. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Could be a molt. I've learned from the old-timers that any chicken can molt at any time. They are not on any kind of schedule.

3. Illia

Illia Crazy for Colors

Oct 19, 2009
    Forks, WA
    They can molt as early as 7 months old. I've got several Araucanas and Ameraucanas who are from 7-9 months old in molt right now.

4. Cowgirl71

Cowgirl71 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 5, 2010
    Missouri Ozarks
    It is very possible. Got a pic?

5. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Quote:Thanks everyone! I will get a pic tomorrow.

6. Scoop

Scoop Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 16, 2009
    Central PA
    Quote:I also had an Ameraucana that went into molt at a young age. It lasted 4 months. None of my other breeds had gone into molt with her. It was just her.

7. BethieofVA

Mar 27, 2010
    Yorktown, Virginia
    Maybe she is having a mini molt. LOL!! I just went down to clean and check her out. She shows no signs of mites, lice, etc... I only have seven chickens and use DE generously. She laid an egg today, but seems grumpy and will not squat for me. I did see reach out and pluck a soft vent feather and eat it from one other chickens, who didn't even flinch! I still need to get a pic.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by