1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nine week old boys ate Watermelon Seeds. Problem?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Barry Natchitoches, Jun 14, 2011.

1. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    The two nine week old boys currently residing in my Roo Pen broke out of their confined area and got in with the adult hens during the afternoon treat time, and were eating away at the black watermelon seeds.

Up till now, I've given my baby birds only cut up pieces of watermelon -- and none with seeds. The grown up birds get the wedges themselves, and the seeds embedded in the watermelon wedges.

I think they ate a lot of watermelon seeds before I found them and fetched them back to the Roo Pen.

Can this harm them? They have lived outside for four weeks now, where they have access to our native clay soil and some grass that they are still eating away at.

Last edited: Jun 14, 2011
  2. Tala

Tala Flock Mistress

So long as they have grit, they'll be fine.

3. Mac in Wisco

Mac in Wisco Antagonist

May 25, 2007
    SW Wisconsin
    Only if one actually starts growing in there. Then you have to look out for exploding watermelon/chickens.

4. Imp

Imp All things share the same breath- Chief Seattle

Quote:[​IMG]

That's too funny.

Barry, they will be fine.

Imp

5. saddina

saddina Internally Deranged

May 2, 2009
    Desert, CA
    nope, i give melon seeds to quail, which stay softball sized, they love them, no worries.

6. Barry Natchitoches

Barry Natchitoches Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 4, 2008
    Tennessee
    What if the little boys start growing a fat watermelon in their belly?

How WILL I explain their "pregnancy" to my neighbors?

But seriously, I'm not seeing any outward signs of distress with them today.

Last edited: Jun 15, 2011
  7. Mahonri

Mahonri Urban Desert Chicken Enthusiast Premium Member

May 14, 2008
    North Phoenix
    My Coop
    Have them poop in the garden and then cover the poop with dirt and water... viola!

You'll have watermelons by Halloween.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by