Nipple cup drinker system without using a pressure regulator?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Kev, Jun 7, 2011.

1. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    I've just started using nipples installed under a 5 gal bucket. Big fan of it now.

I really would like to try out the cup drinkers for peafowl as it seems peafowl and turkeys are not really able to use the nipples. So far everything I see for them use pressure regulators, have not see any using a bucket set up. Is it possible? I was thinking piece of PVC pipe coming off the bottom and installing cup drinkers onto the PVC pipe. Would this work?

2. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
    I've got a couple of cage that I have gravity feed water supply to cup waterers and they work fine.

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    They do not need a pressure regulator as long as you keep the psi below 5 which is not a problem with a 5 gallon bucket.

[​IMG]

4. Kev

Kev Overrun With Chickens

Jan 13, 2008
    Sun City, California
    Most excellent and thank to both of you!
    I'm sure could figure it out myself but any tips or instructions, especially for how to attach PVC to bucket and how do you attach the drinkers to pipe?

Also recommend a source for the cup drinkers, please? I get confused by descriptions, it seems some of them are for quail, others seem for generic poultry.. would turkeys or peafowl be able to drink out of them?

Last edited: Jun 7, 2011
    1 person likes this.
  5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    The ones available on www.beaktime.com are specifically for chickens. They come as a full kit, preassembled on the line or individual cups.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by