nipple drinkers.

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by snipercp, Nov 25, 2011.

1. snipercp

snipercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Nottingham
    hello,
    i was wondering about investing in nipple drinkers but i am afraid that my chickens wont know what to do with it will my chickens learn how to do it even though there 1 year old. and if they would be able to use it how would i teach them.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2011
  2. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    I ordered some yesterday. My chickens range in age from 12 weeks old to around 3 years old (or older). I'm gonna try them. From my understanding, they learn to use them fairly quickly. You may have to wiggle it & let a few drops drop out for them to see where the water comes from. I'm hoping mine learn it quickly. [​IMG]

3. ChickeNoodle

ChickeNoodle New Egg

Nov 25, 2011
    Mine learned in less than a day. I pushed it to let some water out. They became curious and started pecking it.

4. snipercp

snipercp Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 22, 2011
    Nottingham
    oh good thanks for the replies and can you tell me how your chickens get on kuntrychick

5. kuntrychick

kuntrychick Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Alabama
    Quote:I haven't gotten my nipple waterers that I ordered yet, so I'm not sure how my chickens will do, but I'm hoping they learn quickly..

6. neilgal

neilgal Out Of The Brooder

Aug 19, 2010
    Las Vegas
    I had the same concerns, so when I installed the nipple waterer, I left the old one in order to be on the safe side. however, they found out how to use the nipples in 15 minutes.

7. lowry075

lowry075 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2011
    Southern California
    I have one, they don't really use it yet though. [​IMG]

What kind of bucket are you using? The reason I ask, is if it is white, you'll end up with green funk on the sides. I read on a thread here, if you use dark buckets, like black, this algae won't grow. I sprayed my white bucket black. Just thought I'd mention it, so you don't end up with green funk. [​IMG]

8. nanaimochick

nanaimochick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    Can someone post a close up picture of the nipple part? Is this the same as the kind you would use for a rabbit or guinea pig? With he little ball at the end of a metal tube?

9. kcwazzu

kcwazzu Out Of The Brooder

Apr 30, 2011
    Auburn, WA
    Quote:Here's one of the screw in type
    [​IMG]

Keith

10. nanaimochick

nanaimochick Out Of The Brooder

Nov 17, 2011
    nanaimo, b.c.
    OK, is there a little ball in the tube that they press to get water? I've got a couple of water bottles with similar nipples from our last guinea pig that I wonder if they might work?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by