nipple height

FlyWheel

Crowing
6 Years
Mar 19, 2016
35.111165 -81.226586
My Coop
My Coop
I know this has been brought up before, but the answers are usually in the form of "depends on the height of the chicken." So I'm going to ask it a bit differently; how much higher than the chicken should the (vertical) nipple be? How far up should they have to reach (peck)?

Last edited:
It's different for vertical, as opposed to horizontal nipples. For vertical nipples, you want them high enough so a chicken is extending their neck up to reach them. This allows for the chicken to be able to activate the nipple by bumping it from below, then the water will slide down their throats.

For horizontal nipples, you would want them at head level so a chicken can bump the nipple straight-on with their beak, activating the nipple, allowing the water to drip into the beak, then the chicken will tilt back their head and let the water slide down their throat.

but the answers are usually in the form of "depends on the height of the chicken."
Because it does, kinda.
Set it so it's comfortable for your largest bird, then place some stepping stones for your smaller birds. I use bricks and half pavers as 'step stools' on my deep dish feeder.

The HN's are more versatile, I think....my adult birds regularly use the HN's set at 'chick height'.

Back
Top Bottom