Nipple or Cup system for the hot southwest desert?

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by aglutenfreemom, Aug 23, 2013.

1. aglutenfreemom

aglutenfreemom Out Of The Brooder

Aug 9, 2013
    Las Vegas
    Hi all! I'm in Las Vegas and just got baby chicks. Right now they use their chick waterer, but soon they will be ready to go outside. Will a nipple or cup system work, or is it just too darn hot here?

Thanks!

2. LoneOak

LoneOak Chillin' With My Peeps

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Yes a nipple or cup system will work. Keep your reservoir in the shade and if it is that hot a lot of people rig systems using large water coolers for reservoirs and add ice to it as needed. Do a search in this sub forum and you will find many topics on feeding and watering in hot areas.

3. Gallo del Cielo

Gallo del Cielo La Gallina Resort & Spa

May 6, 2010
    Tucson
    My Coop
    A lot of us here in AZ use them. I make sure the chicks have them from the very beginning; they take to them very quickly. On the very hottest days here we put frozen gallon jugs into the waterer to keep it cool, which the chickens very much appreciate.

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013
  4. marktoo

marktoo Chillin' With My Peeps

[​IMG]
    I started them out using nipples on day 1 but switched to cups. During a run of temps from 100 to 111, I placed a pan of water out in the run, the chicks seemed to prefer it, actually leaving the tractor to get a drink & seemed to drink more. I thought the cups would be a good compromise since I like the closed system. I use ACV in the water, dropping frozen water bottles in the cooler during hot weather. Every 10 to 14 days I flush the lines & wash out the cooler. Works well...I'm pleased.
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by