Nipple water system

newchknlvr

In the Brooder
7 Years
Apr 17, 2012
Carthage, Ny
I am trying to get my water system set up so we can get my girls moved into their new home this spring, and I found these on Ebay, and wanted to make sure these are good? I'm not sure if I want to use a PVC system, or use the clear tote system I saw someone else do?
I have 6 girls, and looking to add another 6 in a week or so.

If you have experience, could you please let me know if these are what I should use, and what would work best for a group that size?

Thanks!!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/5pcs-Chicke...296?pt=LH_DefaultDomain_0&hash=item1e73456bc8

Im not sure how they work i only hear bad things about them i hear they leak not a bad leak but consistenly drip after being used so im shying away from them and looking at the watering cups the are on ebay also and either way you go you should make a step by step thread to show your construction im looking at doing the same thing in a few weeks for the spring id love to know if you get these if they leak hopefully not

The nipples work fine but they leak so I no longer use them. The waterer cups are the same idea with automatic waterering and low maintenance minus leaks. I have used the cups for years and love them since I don't have to clean very often and the chickens like drinking from water that they can see.

I bought the nipples from farmteck. I have another thread which I will be updating on Monday when they arrive and I install them.

Have you tried using the push in water nipple with the rubber grommet ? Might seal better than the screw in type.

I use the push-in kind. Other than needing an odd-sized drill bit (11/32), they're flawless. I was advised to use them on mid-weight plastics (buckets and such) and avoid installing in thin plastic as cracking or poor seating may result. Cracks leak, properly installed nipples do not. Screw-in nipples are for thick and rigid material like PVC pipe.

For my six, I have a five-gallon bucket with three nipples. It's total overkill. I wanted to be able to go a week between refills but it's more like a month's worth of water. I thought it would get slimy -- it doesn't. Instead, I dump a fresh gallon in when it gets a little low and clean it whether it needs it or not when I do my monthly litter change. When winter came, I dropped a bucket heater in and no more frozen water! That was my worry with PVC systems.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom