Nipple waterer questiong

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Chicks Galore3, Aug 9, 2014.

1. Chicks Galore3

Chicks Galore3 Artistic Bird Nut Premium Member

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    I am contemplating installing a poultry nipple waterer in my coop....it sounds great! I do have one question though - how freeze-resistant is it? (Either PVC or bucket). I live in northern Iowa and it gets very cold here. -20F is not uncommon. Is there an easy way to heat nipple waterers?

2. myfarm4579

myfarm4579 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 28, 2014
    In cold climates like ours they recommend a small stock tank heater or similar to keep the water from on freezing in the bucket. as far as I know the h/nipples do not freeze like the vertical ones do.

3. RJSorensen

RJSorensen Chicken George

Hello, We get -20F often in the winter, much like you. I recommend horizontal nipples and I am going to use this heater in my buckets this year. A Farm Innovators Ice Chaser Cast Aluminum Submergible Bucket De-Icer Model H-49, 250-Watt.

http://www.amazon.com/dp/B000FK03E8...TF8&colid=3ETRWQ0PUDXWE&coliid=I1UG0AGSD83OFQ

Bird bath heaters are said to work, but for cold like we seem to share, I think the listed one the best I have found thus far.

Best to you and your birds,

RJ

4. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa
    Thank you! Also, I was wondering if the water will drip onto the birds wattles as they drink? I have a problem with frost bitten wattles from them getting dipped into the waterer.

5. Blooie

Blooie Team Spina Bifida Premium Member

Feb 25, 2014
    Northwestern Wyoming
    My Coop
    I also live in a cooooold climate - Northern Wyoming - and have a 5 gallon bucket with horizontal nipples. In the beginning I planned on using a heater in the water (thanks for that link, RJSorensen) but occasionally second guessed myself into looking at a different system. I always came back to the tank heater. When, like you, I wondered about water on wattles (now, only a chicken person could type THAT with a straight face!) I decided to test out different ideas BEFORE winter hits. The best solution was also the simplest and most obvious - lift the height of the bucket so the nipples are even with their beaks. Once I did that they didn't seem to turn their heads as much when they drank. My observations made it pretty clear that they get more water on their wattles when they have to be contortionists to drink. They might get a little bit - that's the nature of a critter drinking - but their faces did seem to stay drier. Only time and going through a winter with them will tell me definitively, but until I see differently it's the only thing I tried that cut down on how wet their faces get.

6. Chicks Galore3

Dec 16, 2011
    Iowa

7. WthrLady

WthrLady Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 24, 2014
    WestOak, Nebraska
    Can someone show me the two types of nipple systems you are talking about? Vertical and horizontal?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by