Nipple waterer reservoir--can someone post a pic

NewHen

Songster
10 Years
Mar 16, 2010
Los Angeles
How do you guys get the reservoir up high enough to feed the nipple waterers? I can't think of how I can do it outside the coop, so it doesn't show in front, so that it's easy to refill, so that I don't have to do much construction, in a tight space.....

Does anyone have pictures? THANKS! Please help! I'm very tired of cleaning and refilling the watering can daily....

Here's my set up but i can't figure out where best to put the reservoir. I'm also planning on a couple of PVC waterers in the run....

51356_inside_coop.jpg

51356_coop_and_run.jpg

Would it fit behind the coop?
Can you run a water hose to fill it?

You will probably need to lower the inlets, if not the entire set up
They look high to me

For just a few chickens you might be happy with just a 5 gallon water bucket. You would only have to fill it every few days. Or you could attach a garden hose to the bucket with a float valve inside the bucket to keep it full all the time. I know that 2 gallons of water in my bucket is plenty enough pressure to let the nipples work. And it is only mounted about 24" off the ground on a hook that goes into a stud. If you do the bucket look for a square kitty litter one. The round buckets will de-form over time as the press against the wall of the coop.

I keep my 5 gallon nipple waterer out in the run. The smaller "units" with only one nipple are in the coop, and hold a gallon or half gallon.
41679_july2010_011.jpg

They only need to be topped off every once in a while, too, since the chickens mostly use the one in the run.

It's on an up-ended concrete block and bungee-corded to a T-post.
41679_5galwaterer.jpg

I put a couple of bricks down when I added bantams to the flock. It was cute as heck when my solo GrandChick figured out how to jump up on the bricks and then hop into the concrete hollow section to get to the nipples!
41679_july13_001.jpg

This shows the height of the waterer really well - because chickens need to reach UP to drink from them.
41679_july13_004.jpg

And this is just too adorable not to share.
41679_july13_003.jpg

Here is what I did with mine. It is a pool chemical bucket that is about 10 gallons. I put a valve in the bottom and used an old washing machine water hose that has female fittings on both ends that runs down to a 3/4" nipple line. I can fill it from the outside. The bottom pic shows the top of the bucket through a small door above the nest box doors. It works great.

Phil

63954_img_0967.jpg

63954_img_0362.jpg

Last edited:
Thanks for the pix. I guess I'll have lower the pipe waterers or forego them completely. They actually aren't that high but I didn't have a chicken in the picture for reference. I think I'll have to put the 5 gallon bucket behind the coop. There's not that much room around it, but I don't think there's another option. I didn't want to have an actual bucket in the run or coop.

Back
Top Bottom