Nipple Waterer Training

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by MichelleLF, Jan 21, 2016.

1. MichelleLF

MichelleLF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    Clermont, Florida
    I just recently installed a Nipple waterer with 2 nipples for my 2 girls and they don't get it. I've tried to show them, removing other water sources, keeping them contained in the run (instead of free ranging like usual) and they don't get it. I read that they will eventually get thirsty enough and figure it out, but we're on day 3 and it's not happening. Tips or advice on how you get hens to drink? Thank you.

2. beetandsteet

beetandsteet Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 21, 2015
    SE Texas
    I did not have much success with nipples for this same reason. Also, I had problems with the rooster getting a drink because his large comb prevented him from getting to the nipple. I quit using nipples after that. Sorry I don't have much advice for you.

3. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    It takes time....some take much longer than others to 'get it'.
    Just keep at it, triggering the pin for them
    What kind of nipples are they...vertical or horizontal?

4. roosterlover12

roosterlover12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    east TN
    The best way to train them is with a laser light

5. roosterlover12

roosterlover12 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 21, 2016
    east TN
    Get your laser light and get your chickens attention and then shine it on each nipple

6. MichelleLF

MichelleLF Out Of The Brooder

Jul 12, 2015
    Clermont, Florida
    Thank you!

7. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    That's a great idea to draw their attention to the nipples without a human finger becoming part of the process....just don't shine it in their little eyes

8. Mikejr05

Mikejr05 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 17, 2016
    Idaho
    Have any of you used them with chicks? I am starting to get ready for new chicks in a month and want to use the nipples or the small cups. Just not sure if the little ones would be strong enough.

9. aart

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    I use the horizontal nipples with chicks, tho I do also provide a regular waterer at first(which can be a detriment to nipple training),
    because some of them figure it out right away and some don't, some are strong enough and some aren't.

Tried the vertical nipples with chicks too as they are much easier to trigger,
    but they make such a wet mess in the brooder and chicks didn't catch on to them any quicker.

1 person likes this.
  10. blucoondawg

blucoondawg Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 27, 2013
    Northern Wisconsin
    I made a 55 gallon barrel waterer with horizontal nipples the chickens caught on immediately. They were adults and around 50 of them,I suppose the more you have the more likely you are for a few to catch on quickly and they will help to teach the others

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by