Nipple waterer, Why did I not do this before... (Video)

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Colonel77, May 17, 2010.

1. Colonel77

Colonel77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 10, 2010
    Glasgow, MO
    I have been reading and reading about these crazy nipple waterers...

I met a local quail breeder awhile back and happened to mention them to him, he said hold on a sec i'll be right back. He comes back with a short section of PVC with one in it and asked if that was what I was talking about. I said yeah how do you like them, he said he liked them but started using other waterers. He asked if I wanted to try some and of course I said sure. He told me to follow him and he would fix me up. Well we went around behind his shed and there was a pile of pipes with nipple's galore! He told me to take all I wanted so I just grabbed a couple sections to try and he told me if I liked them to come get the rest that he would just give them to me. Last night I put two sections together for a total of 8 nipples and attached them to a 5 gallon bucket to test. Tonight they were all just sucking down the water and not a wet spot on the floor anywhere... Man these things are great! I think I may go get a few more sections and make up some for my quail pen's and I may even see if the rabbits will use them too.

Here is a video of my chickens, turkey's, and Guineas slurping it down.

2. Luvducks

Luvducks Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2009
    Colorado
    Good deal! Glad they are working out for you. Now I need to show this to my husband. THANKS

3. luckyramu

luckyramu Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 3, 2010
    Apple Valley
    Very nice video. I've always wondered what it looks like when chicks drink from those. Do they appear to be getting enough water?

4. phore

phore Out Of The Brooder

Sep 18, 2009
    How high off the floor are the nipples?

5. Colonel77

Mar 10, 2010
    Glasgow, MO
    They seem to get all they want, drink for a couple minutes then go on about there business.

I'm guessing here cause I didn't measure it but I'd say roughly 15 inches?? Somewhere around that anyway. I wanted it low enough my pullets could drink easy enough and the full grown hens seem to do fine as well. Some even roost on the pipe and drink upside down...

6. braedandhalshens

braedandhalshens New Egg

May 7, 2010
    I want to use these when I take my chicks outside next week so I got a rabbit water bottle to let them try and learn first. For about a week they didn't want anything to do with it, now thats the only way they will drink, so I am pretty confident they will like the nipples.

7. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    did that little one ever get some water ? lol

8. Colonel77

Mar 10, 2010
    Glasgow, MO
    Quote:LOL! I finally added more bedding along one end so the little turkey didn't have to jump for a drink. It sure was funny to watch though.

This morning my 2 little mallard ducklings are drinking from it as well.

9. vetgirl00us

vetgirl00us Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 28, 2010
    Rome, GA
    i thought it was cute- he wanted that water SO bad, lol!

10. fl_deb

fl_deb Chillin' With My Peeps

May 7, 2010
    So Colonel77, it looks like that was regular round PVC pipe???? [​IMG]

I hope so because I already bought nipples and was going to made an auto-watering system out of food grade bucket and toilet tank fill valve with using round PVC and wasn't sure it would work b/c they sell the nipples with the square piping.

Thanks!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by