1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nipple waterer will they use it

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by jamespet, Mar 21, 2011.

1. jamespet

jamespet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Youngsville,NC
    I made this one it came out pretty good but how long will it take the chickens to use it? Ihad a a bag of 48 of these nipples and thought i would give them a try.[​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 21, 2011
  2. jmagill

jmagill Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2009
    Western Wyoming
    Do they work?

I was under the impression that all the nipples they need to straight down to the ground.

3. jamespet

jamespet Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2010
    Youngsville,NC
    Im not sure i have never made one so i figured i would run it up the flag pole here and see what advice anyone has

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I've never seen nipples like that. As long as they work and provide enough water, it should be instantaneous us eby the chickens. Show them how to use them by pecking at them with your finger and they will follow.

Last edited: Mar 22, 2011
  5. dianaross77

dianaross77 Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 10, 2010
    Grand Blanc, MI
    I use cage water bottles for my bantams. To show them to use it, I just held them up to the bottle and pushed their beaks in until water came out. They figured it out just fine after that.

6. jaydweight

jaydweight Out Of The Brooder

Mar 14, 2011
    Pleasant Grove, UT
    Mine worked just fine, although I'm not sure about the 'horizontal' nipples. Mine are vertical because they work by gravity.

[​IMG]

7. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    It looks like you have it too low. If possible, raise it so that the shortest chick can drink from it while standing upright.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by