Nipple waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by VM153, Aug 28, 2016.

1. VM153

VM153 New Egg

Feb 15, 2016
    I recently constructed a nipple waterer for my flock a few weeks ago but they wont use it. Yes I have left a regular waterer in their run because of the high temperatures as I disnt want them ro get dehydrated. Should I just remove the regular waterer ans let them figure it out?

2. rosemarythyme

rosemarythyme Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 3, 2016
    Pac NW
    I would say for now, while the weather is still hot, leave them with the alternate waterer so you know they're getting plenty of water. Once things cool down you can remove the alternate.

I taught my girls to use their nipple waterer by having their original waterer in the same area, so when they went looking for water I'd tap the nipple and let a little water trickle down. They quickly learned to look up instead of down for water and within 10 minutes all of them had learned to use it.

When it's hot out I put out extra water for them (in a planter saucer) so they can stand in it and cool off their feet and easily get a little extra water to drink too.

1 person likes this.
  3. afishl1

afishl1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    I also tapped the nipple while they were near. I used a long branch so I wasn't too close to scare them away. I held the branch against to let it drip and also tapped so they could put two and two together.

4. jamesglasman72

jamesglasman72 Out Of The Brooder

I just grab each chicken individually and tap the nipples with there beak then I leave the rest to them. I have never had any problems with dehydration.

5. Marilynszoo

Marilynszoo Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 10, 2015
    East Tennessee
    If you can get just one to start using the nipple waterer the others will learn from her!

6. Flock In Texas

Flock In Texas Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 7, 2016
    Texas
    How high do the nipples need to be above the ground? Are they at the right height?

7. jamesglasman72

jamesglasman72 Out Of The Brooder

Hi enough that the chickens have to stand and stretch there neck to peck but not so high that they have to reach as far as they possibly can.

8. chicks n roses

chicks n roses Just Hatched

Jul 13, 2016
    mine wont use it either its been in the coop six months can i makeemore water come out? it seems like they have to work too hard and theyve given up....

9. Pork Pie Ken

Pork Pie Ken Monkey Business Premium Member

Jan 30, 2015
    Africa - near the equator
    My experience is that some birds get it, others don't. Birds with the best technique are those that are raised using them from day 1. The birds that i have raised simply push the nipple to the side, with their mouth open - those that have learned as adults tend to peck the nipples. In the hot season, I prefer to put additional water sources out for my flock to ensure that those who are rubbish at using nipples have easy access to water. Its good to teach birds to use them for times when they are separated from the flock due to illness or broody-breaking as they take up no space in a small coop.

CT

10. afishl1

afishl1 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2013
    make sure the 5 gallon bucket or whatever you're using is high enough to give more pressure to the nipples and also make sure the nipples are at or around the lowest point an enough water in the bucket!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by