nipple waterer

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by chickenbythesea, Aug 18, 2011.

1. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    ok, so here in eastern canada, no one seems to have heard of the nipple method for watering your chickens. So that means ordering online. Not so big a deal but how hard is it really to teach your chickens to drink from these? By the time we buy the nipples and pvc I can buy a traditional waterer for less or the at worst the same minus the need to assemble something ( I should say for my hubby to assemble something else). Are they really all they're cracked up to be and won't they freeze in the winter? We can get as low as -40 celcius and we're on the ocean and a hill so the weather can be a bit much sometimes. Anyways, I'd love to hear peoples opinions before I go to the trouble and expense of hunting these things down. I'd really hate to spend the money, make hubby build it and then have it bomb on me. Thanks

2. crazygoatlady915

crazygoatlady915 Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 30, 2011
    Idaho
    Not hard at all! Chickens and their natural nosiness will figure it out by themselves, just leave another water source in there for a week or so, incase they forget [​IMG] .
    It is a tad more expensive, but you will love it when you no longer need to clean the poop out of a traditional waterer!
    I hear you, here in South- Eastern Idaho, we get below 0 temps too- we adverted cracking and freezing by lining our waterer with heat tape, works like a charm! (Oh- and be sure to heat your coop if it gets that cold!!!!)
    Try farmtek.com, they have all you need, get the orange "360 superflow" nipples. ORANGE!! not red!!!
    And a word from those who have built a system before- line the holes that you screw the nipples in with silicon- otherwise, they tend to drip!
    Hope that helps!!
    Good Luck!!

3. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I can sell you some 360 degree nipples if you need them. Just let me know.

4. Tofer76

Tofer76 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    www.qcsupply.com is usually cheaper but ebay is cheaper yet i put mine directly in the bottom of 5 gal buckets and in winter i use deicers to keep it from feezing but one did last year so i back up with a heated dog bucket do some searching on here there are tons of ideas and different configs

5. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

Mine learned in less than a few minutes...they love it [​IMG]

6. ChickenSnake

ChickenSnake Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2011
    Montgomery County Texas
    This is something I'd like to do too. I have all the parts except the nipples. I can't even type that without snickering!! [​IMG]

7. Amethyste

Amethyste For Love of Boo...

I know .... [​IMG]

My husband CANNOT keep a straight face when we talk about their waterers. [​IMG] And, as soon as I have people asking me how I feed and water the Ladies....the person I am talking to will almost always give the [​IMG] face and start snickering. [​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG]

Sigh. [​IMG]

8. chickenbythesea

chickenbythesea Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 15, 2011
    Nova Scotia
    Quote:thanks for the advice guys... I did see farmtek online and looked like that would be where we would order from. Why is it important to get the orange and not the red? Does it really matter?

9. j3707

j3707 Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 29, 2009
    Pacific Northwest
    I buy mine from Farmtek...don't know about the colors, but they carry two types: push in and threaded. I use the threaded.

Someone I know came up with a great alternative name for these: "chicken lickers"...

10. Tofer76

Tofer76 Out Of The Brooder

Aug 7, 2010
    Carthage Il,
    farmteks shipping is way too high ~~!!!!!!! try www.qcsupply.com thats where i got mine but there are a few good quality ones on ebay

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by