Nipple waterers during the winter

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by ajlynco, Sep 23, 2011.

1. ajlynco

ajlynco Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 7, 2011
    Reno, NV.
    I'm considering a 3 gallon bucket with 3 nipple waterers inserted into the bottom for my 12 fuzzy butts this winter. They're being delivered mid Oct. I'll be inserting an aquarium heater in the bucket to keep from freezing. The waterer will be set up inside the coop. Anyone had experience with similar set ups?

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I have a 5 gallon bucket with a water heater that is connected to water cups that are inside the coop during the winter. It works fine. It depends ont he temperature of your winters and if the nipples are out in the cold weather.

3. briteday

briteday Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 16, 2008
    Northern NV
    I live in an area where we have nights below 0 sometimes, most winter nights are in the teens and 20's. My 5 gallon bucket with an aquarium heater is in the coop and stays liquid all winter long. To save on electricity I have the heater connected through a thermocube (can be found at hardware stores and feed stores for $15???) so that the heater only turns on when it gets below freezing in the coop. We have warm sunny days that often keep the inside of our coop pretty warm, even in the winter. So with the thermocube we save a bit on electricity by having run only as needed.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by