Nipple waterers for Chicks?

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by Bleenie, Aug 27, 2010.

1. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Have any of you used Nipple waterers for chicks or in your brooders? how successful were they?

I am dealing with my chicks being sick right now and i think the cause was them kicking their dirty (poopy) bedding into the water tray so I am considering alternative watering methods but am unsure how they would take to the nipple system.

any input is SO appreciated. [​IMG]

2. oldchickenlady

oldchickenlady Chillin' With My Peeps

May 9, 2010
    Cabot, AR
    Someone just posted in the last day or two about this. They taught their chicks to use them in about 15 seconds. I haven't used them, but apparently they are no issue once you show them that water comes out. Worth a try for sure.

3. buildingmyark

buildingmyark Chillin' With My Peeps

May 2, 2010
    Louisiana
  4. matimeo

matimeo Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 29, 2010
    Oregon
    I'm using one right now with baby chicks and they take right to it. No more mess.

5. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    You can use nipple waterers or hamster bottles work great if you don't have any of the nipples available! I use both!

6. write2caroline

write2caroline Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 21, 2009
    Jacksonville
    OMGOSH - YES!!!! YES YES!!!!

My issue is the home waterer thingymajig leaks and I need a better design. But let me just share how nice it was to always have clean water for the little chicks all the time. They figured out the nipples warp speed fast.

Caroline

7. featherz

featherz Veggie Chick

Mar 22, 2010
    Saratoga County, NY
    mine use nipple waterers right out of the egg. They are awesome!

8. Shellyb

Shellyb Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 25, 2009
    I was wondering too if you could use a "small animal" water bottle. I have an unused one left over from my gerbils that I never needed to use in their tank, would love to find another use for it. Anyone use something similar to that?

9. kennedyscochins

kennedyscochins Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 1, 2009
    Big Clifty
    Quote:I have used the hamster bottles (the ones with the ball in the end where they hit it with their mouth). Works great!

10. Bleenie

Bleenie Wyan-DO's

Thank you guys for all the replies! I know our local feed store sells them for fairly cheap so all i need to do is rig them up to a water container. I have never used them before but if it works as well as i hope, i may start to use them for my older chickens. It seems like a much cleaner, healthier method of keeping them hydrated! [​IMG]

thank you all!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by