Nipple waterers for ducks. Is it enough??

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by jamband, Mar 17, 2012.

1. jamband

jamband Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2011
    http://www.duckhealth.com/housmngt.html

I came across this page and it says nipples are enough??? Dont they need access to head dunking water when they have food?

It would really help keep the bedding dry.....Thats my biggest issue is water gets everywhere but I only feed them at night time and thats how i get them to coop up. Curious

2. spish

spish De Regenboog Kippetjes

Apr 7, 2010
    Belgium
    ducks need to be able to clean out their nostrils..so need water with some depth to stick their bills in...can't see how they could do that with a nipple waterer??

3. jamband

Apr 26, 2011
    thats always what I thought too... Asked someone else today and they just use nipples..but didn't ask if they feed at night so kinda pointless.

4. tweetysvoice

tweetysvoice Chillin' With My Peeps

Dec 30, 2011
    Lawrence, KS
    My Coop
    I've heard of some people creating a water bowl that the ducks can stuck their heads into, but not their whole body. It might help. I haven't done this yet.

5. duckyfromoz

duckyfromoz Quackaholic

Jan 11, 2010
    Australia
    That site is aimed more at commercial breeding of huge populations. They dont provide water in the same way- since the mess made would be unbelievable with that qty of birds in such a small space. Nipples overnight ( even if feeding them in the evenings ) would be fine as long as they had swimming water - or at least head dunking water during the day. They do need access to water when eating- but not necessarily enough to dunk their whole heads in, its more to help them wash the food down.

6. jamband

Apr 26, 2011

Yeah I know it a commercial production reference but it has some really good info... I was always under the impression they needed the dunking water when eating to help clean out? But are you saying its more something they need daily access to but not necessarily 24/7? Thanks

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by