nipple waterers leaking at threading

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Cynth, Oct 15, 2011.

1. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    I am not using any preasure but need some help figuring out how to seal the threading to the pipe. should I use glue? or silicone? Help please.

2. Barred Babies

Barred Babies Red Roof Farms

Sep 20, 2009
    Pride, La.
    Quote:Did you try wrapping the threading with plumbers tape?? If not try that and it it still leaks I would use some silicone!

3. Cynth

Cynth Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2011
    Lyman, Maine
    Yes. lots of tape.

4. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    Did you drill the right size hole? What type of nipples are they?
    You can use pvc cement as it is potable and creates a seal.

5. petejd

petejd Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 25, 2011
    Bluffton, SC.
    Use teflon tape on the threads of the nipple where it goes into the bucket, bottle, etc.

6. BellevueOmlet

Jul 10, 2010
    Petejd, She said she is using lots of teflon tape. If that is not working, adding more probably will not help.

7. quietlyscheming

quietlyscheming Out Of The Brooder

Sep 12, 2011
    Crosby, TX
    When I first tried installing mine I was tempted to drill larger holes (they wouldn't go in at first) until I found a system that worked for me and the nipples I had bought.

Poultry Nipple Installation

If I had to guess, the holes that are too large. I personally would grab a new piece of PVC and re-drill if the teflon tape didn't do the trick.

8. BellevueOmlet

Jul 10, 2010
    If you can't get the nipples to work, you can always get pre-built waterer cups like these:

[​IMG]

9. wyododge

wyododge Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 30, 2011
    Wyoming
    Quote:Cynth, if you have used a few wraps of tape and it is still leaking, the hole may be out of round or a bit too big. PVC glue will not work, the nipples are not made of PVC. Remove all the tape and clean up the threads, place a bead of silicone on the threads and the shoulder that rests against the pipe when fully screwed in. Then when the nipple is screwed in run your finger around the outside of the shoulder to smooth out the silicone. Then let the pipe set dry for 24 hours. It takes that long for the silicone to fully cure.

10. MIKE555444

MIKE555444 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 8, 2009
    Pliny, West Virgina
    I thought someone was placing a "t" and gluing in threaded fitting for the nipples to stop leaks? Anyone know just how that works?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by