Nipple Waterers (Opinions?)

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by QualityPolish, May 15, 2011.

1. QualityPolish

QualityPolish Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Well, I'm considering nipple waterers for our chicks but, I want to get others opinions about them.

First off do they leak a ton?

I've seen pictures and videos and it looks like it doesn't provide enough water to the chicken, is that true?

How easy is it to teach the chicks to use them. The place where we are getting them from are strictly ground waterers, will it be a big change?

Any other pro's and cons, I'd really like it if you shared them.

Opinions?

Thank you!

2. flightfeather21

flightfeather21 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    well a better choice, I think would be cup waterers because the nipple waterers they might be hard to grasp for the chicks, and it would be better for pigs/cows/horses etc.

thats just my opinion though, plus my neighbor tried it before it didn't work.

so yeah.

~flightfeather21~

P.S : there are different types of nipple waterers, the ones my neighbor used just... sucked.

Last edited: May 15, 2011
  3. lizch

lizch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    I'm very happy with them. I got very fed up of trying to keep the water fresh...nothing seemed to keep the chicks from pooping in the water and kicking bedding into it.

I gave them the nipple waterers when they were about 5 weeks old and they figured it out very quickly. I give them no other fluids, and they're still alive 5 weeks later so I assume they are getting enough.

If I fill the waterer to the very top, it seems to drip a little. But otherwise, no leakage.

I bought three waterers for my seven chicks. Two are in the run and one in the coop. Love only have to mess with their water about once a week, and that's to top it up.

4. QualityPolish

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    So you don't recommend giving them the nipple waterers at the VERY first? Maybe wait for a few weeks and use the ground waterer when they're real young.

5. lizch

lizch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Not sure how early is OK. I think mine could have figured it out earlier than 5 weeks--just took that long for me to get frustrated and order them!

6. flightfeather21

flightfeather21 Out Of The Brooder

Jan 28, 2011
    yeah so just wait a couple weeks before you use it. [​IMG]

7. lizch

lizch Out Of The Brooder

Mar 29, 2011
    Quote:The chick doesn't suck on the nipple like a mammal would...they peck at it which causes a water drop to appear, which they then drink.

8. Gmsg01

Gmsg01 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 4, 2011
    West Monroe,NY
    Any recommendations for source

9. zoo357

zoo357 Chillin' With My Peeps

Jan 13, 2011
    NW Indiana
    We got ours from ebay as the shipping from FramTek was a little pricey....
    All of our chicks are using them except the really young ones. I like the way they work and worried the same thing about if it would be enough water but no one seems to be having any issues...

10. QualityPolish

Apr 7, 2011
    Utah
    Hmm, I'm just thinking of the hassle of having to replace broken ones etc. That is if they have alot of problems. I'm also looking into the "bell waterers" are they better or worse than the nipple waterers?

Thanks for all the replies guys [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by