nipple waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by pharmchickrnmom, May 31, 2010.

1. pharmchickrnmom

pharmchickrnmom Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 13, 2010
    Newbie question--I got my nipples (thanks, Neil!) and put one in the cap of a plastic juice bottle. I was wondering if I needed to poke a hole at the other end to get the water to drip. I found that it didnt drip until I poked a small hole in the bottom. I made a pvc pipe waterer for the run and will use the jug in the tractor. My girls are trying to get the hang of using it after I showed them the nipple on the jug. They are only 7 weeks old. How high should I hang the jug and the pipe? I figured 10 inches for my BR and Wyd. Any input would be appreciated.

2. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    Yes definitely. You need an air hole otherwise the nipple gets air locked. As long as it is high enough for them to get underneath it they should be fine. I have one that is about two feet up for our grown EE and Orps. I'm not sure how high it is for the chicks. I just try and make a rough estimate based on their size. How do you have it hung? We have ours in the brooders on a turn buckle so we can adjust the height and try to keep it a few inches above their backs.

Last edited: May 31, 2010
  3. pharmchickrnmom

Apr 13, 2010
    I will be hanging the jug from the rafter in the tractor. It will be an eyebolt and a rope harness so I can raise and lower it for cleaning and refilling. The pvi pipe will be hung on the corner post of the run by a ziptie and bungees. I can also adjust it for height and take it out for cleaning.

4. ILOVEFRIZZLES

ILOVEFRIZZLES Red Roof Hens

Feb 2, 2009
    Hamilton Ga
    I want to know how long does it take chickens to figure out how to use the nipples i just add them to my coop and I am scared to take the water buckets out.

5. gryeyes

gryeyes Covered in Pet Hair & Feathers

About 10 minutes IF you show them how they work!

I simply sit on an upside down bucket next to the nipples, then tap them so water drips. Chickens can see the water dripping, and they are curious creatures. Once ONE chicken has come over, pecked at the nipple and gotten a drink, s/he will teach the others.

I know I sat there for a while watching to make sure each and every chicken figured it out, because that's the sort of worry-wart I am. It did take about 45 minutes before the last chicken drank from it. But that's because that chicken was off somewhere else and didn't come to the place where the regular waterer USED to be until then.

6. pharmchickrnmom

Apr 13, 2010
    It didnt take my chickens long to learn to use the nipple. Eleanor, my GLW, is always the first girl to check out anything new. She came over to the corner of the run where I was hanging the jug to introduce the new watering system. She started pecking at it and voila! water! Anyways, she kept coming back for drinks last night and the other girls learned from her. They had knocked over their stand up waterer so were looking for a drink. I made sure that all knew where to go and will be putting their new pvc pipe waterer in tomorrow. I too, am a protective chicken mommy so it was a relief to see they got it so fast. [​IMG]

7. MrRushed

MrRushed Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 6, 2010
    Dudley
    I think the nipples are great, they save me a lot of clean up time. No crappy water to change every day.

[​IMG]
    This is a set up I installed in my coop 30 gal storage. It would last me a wile but I still replace the water every week just to keep it fresh.
    No nasty ka ka in the water to clean up.

8. Egg_newton

Egg_newton Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 19, 2009
    East Central Indiana
    I've used nipples for everybody from day old chicks, to meaties, to turkeys, silkies, and of course my standard laying hens. Never had a problem

9. countrysg

countrysg New Egg

Jun 6, 2010
    A Newbie question.... just put together my first bucket with nipples - BUT - I had the bright idea to silicone the inside around the nipples as well as the outside and then I realized that maybe the silicone inside the bucket may contaminate the water....?? Can anyone give me feedback about this? I used kitchen/bath silicone - Has anyone else used it inside the bucket???

Thanks so much for your feedback. My hen house is nearly done - tonight is the girls first night in their new digs :)

Sharon

10. Me & My Peeps

Me & My Peeps Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 26, 2010
    Western MA
    Quote:If you need silicone to stop drips............then chances are that you used the wrong size drill bit.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by