1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

nipple waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Dubb, Jul 7, 2011.

1. Dubb

Dubb New Egg

Jun 4, 2011
    What do yall think about the nipple waterers and can you describe how you made yours . Where can I buy the nipples ?I am new to chicken raising and can use any imput you can provide. Thanks [​IMG]

2. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    I like the nipples but I prefer the waterer cups because it leaves a cup of water for the chickens to drink from. Both are much better than standard waterers.

3. chfite

chfite Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 7, 2011
    Taylors, SC
    I like my nipple waterer. I took a piece of 3/4 inch PVC pipe and drilled two holes in a piece 3 feet long about two feet apart. I put one nipple in each hole. I installed a faucet on one end to be able to drain it. I put a hose coupling on the other end and connected it to a length of hose that connects to a bucket for holding the water. It is installed in a bracket about 12 inches above the ground under the coop. The chickens figured it out without any help from me. It seems to adequately serve 6 chickens.

Chris

4. Opa

Opa Opa-wan Chickenobi

May 11, 2008
    Howell Michigan
  5. southerndesert

southerndesert B & M Chicken Ranch

Jun 17, 2011
    Morristown, AZ
    Yup use them and the birds like them as well, mine are made out of buckets (plastic)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Easy to keep clean only problem I had was they would not use it until I removed the old water containers, but they then had it down in minutes. We have since put the dishpans back in and they still u8se mainly the buckets with nipples.

6. debid

debid Overrun With Chickens

Jan 20, 2011
    middle TN
    I use push-in nipples installed in the bottom of a plastic bucket. The bucket hangs from chain so I'm able to raise it to keep the proper height as my chicks grow. There is a block under one nipple for my smaller (younger) pullet to get a boost.

There is a guy on BYC who sells the nipples (search Neil Grassbaugh). If you only need a few nipples, you'll save $ on shipping going with him. He also provides detailed installation instructions with the nipples which is helpful if you haven't installed them before.

7. CarolynF

CarolynF Chillin' With My Peeps

May 11, 2011
    Puget Sound
    My Coop
    First things first.... [​IMG]

I used nipple waterers and it's working out really well. Click on my BYC page then on the Watering System link that's at the top of that page. I documented what I used and how.

We took a 4 day trip last week and I slept well knowing my girls had plenty of clean fresh water. Best of luck with yours, too.

8. JRBIRDMAN

JRBIRDMAN Out Of The Brooder

Apr 13, 2011
    I put a couple of the nipple watering devices in my coop and I wish my pigeons could use this type of device. The watre stays clean and keeps the floor of the run dry at the same time

9. WatWasIThinking!!!

WatWasIThinking!!! Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 15, 2011
    I ordered the nipples from qcsupply for $1.18 a nipple and $6.25 shipping. I received them in 2 days along with a very nice pair of gloves compliments of qcsupply.

Very happy with my order. Cheapest place I could find them.

10. Saltcreek

Saltcreek Out Of The Brooder

Feb 20, 2011
    South Central Ohio
    Quote:How high off the ground do you have your nipples? I have a 6 nipple pipe to install for my 15 Welsummers that are 15 weeks old. Yours looks good.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by