1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    Not a member yet? join BYC here & then introduce yourself in our community forum here.

nipple waterers

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by junecleavage, Jul 30, 2013.

1. junecleavage

junecleavage In the Brooder

Jul 30, 2013
    south carolina
    Good Morning everyone,

I am thinking of making a watering system using nipples for my 21 chickens. In the past, I have always just kept a bucket of water out for them, but am looking for a cleaner easier solution. I read the previous posts on the forum, but am still a little hesitant about which nipple to select. Is there anyone who has had a watering system in use for more than a year with no complaints about their nipples? Recommendations on which to get or which not to and why would be helpful. The system will have a large bucket outside the coop with PVC piping going into the coop with the nipples mounted in the PVC pipe.

Thanks in advance.

2. 1cityslicker

1cityslicker In the Brooder

Aug 2, 2012
    Ferndale, WA
    I've been using the standard vertical nipples for mine. I have a 5 gal bucket with four nipples on one side of the coop and a rain barrel fed by the garage gutter with PVC coming out the bottom with an additional five nipples in the run. I have to fill up the bucket maybe once every two weeks and in the summer I fill the barrel once every two months or so. I also add ACV to both the bucket and the barrel.

Some people report having difficulties training their flock to use the nipples but I have never had a problem. I started by calling the hens to the nipples and started tapping them so they could see the water flowing. They get curious and start pecking at it and the others follow.

3. BStump

BStump In the Brooder

Jul 20, 2013
    Ohio
    My Coop
    Got my nipples off Amazon. They sell different quantities on there.. they basically all look the same except for the ones that fit onto a plastic pvc pipe.

My birds were used to dipping into the waterer since they were chicks. After I made the nipple waterer, I took away the other water and 'showed' them like 1cityslicker did. When they saw the water dripping from the nipples after I demonstrated, that was all it took. I walked away and watched them peck and peck and drink.

~Brian

4. ke5hde

ke5hde Songster

Aug 29, 2011
    Lafayette,NY
    All of our big girls use a nipple system with a 55gal drum. The only one that had trouble was our blue Polish girl. She just couldn't see it. I trimmed her crest a little bit and now they all use it, including our blue Runner drake who is on lock down until his ducklings are bigger.
    It won't take long to train them as long as its their only water source. Good luck.

5. LoneOak

LoneOak Chirping

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
  6. junecleavage

Jul 30, 2013
    south carolina
    Thanks for the info and the link to your post. I was curious about the horizontal nipples, and was hoping someone would tell me there thoughts on them. If I can figure out the PM, I will send Rich386 a message and ask about them.

7. Rich386

Rich386 Songster

Jul 21, 2011
    Live Oak, FL
    LoanOak is someone that has tried horizontal nipples ask him what he thinks.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

8. junecleavage

Jul 30, 2013
    south carolina
    He had sent me some information, and I had actually told him I was going to PM you. Yesterday was so hectic, though, I never got a chance. I am very interested in them. Can you tell me a little about them? Are they screw in? What size PVC would I need to use? How much do they cost? Or if there is a place you have already answered all of this you can just direct me there.

Thank you so much! I'm looking forward to a clean watering system. [​IMG] When I just had 9 it wasn't that big of a deal, but now that I have 21 the water gets much dirtier.

9. MelissaTXRn

MelissaTXRn Songster

Jun 3, 2013
    Horizontal poultry nipples all the way! You will love them:)

10. LoneOak

LoneOak Chirping

May 19, 2013
    West of Atlanta
    Quote: Junecleavage, The horizontal nipples work great with 1/2" pvc pipe. you can either drill a hole directly in the pipe, 11/32 drill, or use tees or fittings with 1/8" npt Threads. I found tees that slip on 1/2" pvc and have the 1/8'' threads and showed them to Rich, he may have some of them now, you just need to ask. They sell for $13.99 for a pack of 5 which includes shipping. One pack of five will be plenty for your group of birds, I have 28 birds using 4 now and it is more than adequate, my birds never even come close to acting like their thirsty and they have just about stopped drinking out of dirty puddles when it rains as well. Rich has an add in the buy-sell-trade section so click here and it will take you to where you click to send a Pm to him to order the nipples, Horizontal nipple waterers for sale 5 pack free shipping.

You should be able to build a basic system for less than $25 and if you wanted to upgrade it to auto fill you would need a float for your reservoir which would raise the total to about $60. You will do just fine if you build your system like you wrote about in the original post of this topic.

Last edited: Aug 1, 2013

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: