Nipple Watering System For Caged Chickens?

Triple P

Hatching
9 Years
Jul 4, 2010
Wisconsin
I have been looking into constructing a nipple water system for my birds for many years. I have many roosters (60+) for use in my breeding program and it is physically impossible to maintain them all without keeping them in cages ( at least if I don't want them to tear each other to shreds). So I maintain most of my roosters individually in cages which stack three high.

I have perused many of the threads looking for anyone who deals with a stacked nipple system and have only found single hieght system. Anyway my worry is that nipples on the bottom cages would recieve to much pressure and leak if the pressure is correct for the top nipples. The approximate distance from the top run of nipples to the bottom run of nipples would be about 4.5 ft.

Ideally I wanted it to be a completely automatic system with a regulator off the tap but im not sure if this method would be harder to maintain proper pressure top to bottom.

Alternately I thought maybe a gravity feed system would be less complicated.

If anyone has any advice on this subject or has a system similar to this I would love to hear about it.

Thanks!!!!

Last edited:
i use the lubing waters from a commerical broiler operation that the farmer quit the business. they are expensive new but cheep used..to set them up the way you are wanting all you would have to do is set up a gravity feed and all would work fine . i am thinking to use pressure regulators you would need a seperate regulator for each level. hope this helps ..good luck with the roo's..

Thanks!!

I kind of thought that gravity feed might be the easiest way to do it.

I'm not sure where to get used nipples. There is not many broiler operations up here.

Hi we keep our roosters in individual cages too and with over 20 cages thats way to much work for watering so I use the little water cups off of a pressure regulator hooked onto my water system for the barn...works great and the birds catch on to the coops really fast...my cages are stacked 4 high in some parts and i just run one continuous line.....also have some cups on buckets that run down the entire 3 high cage unit.

You can always do the same type of system with waterer cups if you wanted them instead of nipples. They can be attached directly to the tubing or with pvc.

Last edited:

Back
Top Bottom