1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

Nipple watering system for ducks?

Discussion in 'Ducks' started by dianneS, Apr 25, 2016.

1. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    I'm new to ducks. I know that they need to dip their bills in water when eating, but is it possible to use the nipple style waterers, like I use for the chickens, in addition to their tubs of water? Their water gets dirty so fast, I was just trying to think of an additional source that would always stay clean. Would ducks learn to use a nipple watering system or would they just ignore it? Has anyone tried it?
    Thanks!

2. JetCat

JetCat Chillin' With My Peeps

Oct 26, 2015
    Southeast Alabama
    yes you can use the nipples as a secondary water source.

3. Amiga

Amiga Overrun with Runners

Jan 3, 2010
    Southern New England
    It may depend on the ducks - not all ducks have the same behaviors.

I just change their water at least once a day. When they were ducklings, sometimes it was 3 times a day.

4. cricketol

cricketol New Egg

Can you use nipples and a pond as watering sources? Or would you need more?

5. dianneS

dianneS Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 16, 2009
    South Central PA
    These ducks were raised in the chicken coop with the chickens. They had both the nipple system and a tub of water. I never watched to see if the ducks took to the nipple waterer but I do know they saw the chickens use it! I may give it a try and see if they'll use one!

6. Duck Drover

Duck Drover Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 8, 2013
    Washington
    Ducks need to be able to submerge their bills in water and bathe. They don't need a huge pond but they do need a small tub of water at least.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by