Nipple watering system within main water line

tarponslayer

Hatching
6 Years
Feb 11, 2013
I plan to set up a nipple watering system for my bobwhite pens, which will hold approximately 30 chicks and 2 adults each (10 24 x 8 ft runs). I had planned on having an active water pipe that runs through each pen all the way to the end, that way I would never have to enter the pens in order to get water to them. Ideally each run will have nipples at 3 different heights to suit the birds as they get taller. My question is, could this possibly work? Would I need some kind of valve to take the pressure off? I have heard that nipples don't work very well under high pressure. I'm sure this question has been answered multiple times, but any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance

I think the nipples need like 3 lbs. of pressure or less or they will leak. You would need to regulate it down. I have mine getting water from a 20 gal. food grade container hooked to a rain-collection system and it works great. I even adjusted it to less pressure by closing the valve before the nipples partially. You can see some water on the ground under the nipples upon initial setup, due to high pressure they leaked. Works great now and I have moved the nipple pipe under the coop.

Adding a valve does not reduce the pressure. It can only reduce the flow rate. Pressure can be reduced by adding a regulator or lowering the height of the storage tank. Pressure at the nipple is determined by the vertical distance between the nipple and the top of the water in the tank. There will be one pound of pressure for every 2.31 feet of vertical distance. So, for example, if your water level in the tank is 4 feet above the nipple, you would have 1.73 PSI at the nipple (4 divided by 2.31).

Paul

Well then my flow was to much because it works now. So Tarponslayer maybe check your pressure and flow if you have leaks or problems. Thanks for the info.....

Back
Top Bottom