1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

Nipple waters w/ turkeys?

Discussion in 'Turkeys' started by kateswist, Apr 16, 2012.

1. kateswist

kateswist New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Does anyone have any experience with the nipple waterer systems with turkey poults and full sized birds?

I'm thinking of building a gravity system out of pvc pipe w/ nipples along the bottom with a gradual vertical incline to accommodate the increasing height of the turkeys. As turkeys get older do they have a problem using a nipple system that causes them to raise their head backwards?

Does anyone use a different kind of automatic or semi automatic watering system w/ their turkeys? I'd love anyone's advice or ideas.

Thanks,
    Katie

2. Unclebean

Unclebean Rest in Peace 1977-2013

Jun 10, 2010
    Tower City, PA
    I've been using a 5 gallon bucket with nipples in the bottom for our turkeys. We started them out when they were just a few days old with a peanut butter jar with a nipple in the bottom. Now that they are almost full grown they hit the nipples pretty hard and I wonder how much water they actually get compaired to what drops on the ground.

3. kateswist

kateswist New Egg

Mar 19, 2012
    Do you feel your turkeys aren't getting enough water, or they are just wasting a lot of it?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by