Nipples and watering cups

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by Hawgon, Jan 30, 2012.

1. Hawgon

Hawgon Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Can I use both watering cups and nipples on the same pvc supply line from my bucket? Not sure why just an idea for some variety and let the chickens choose....Thanks for any input on either way...

2. ChickenCanoe

ChickenCanoe True BYC Addict

Nov 23, 2010
    St. Louis, MO
    of course, why not.
    IMO they'll choose the cups.

3. BoltonChicken

BoltonChicken Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 14, 2011
    Bolton, Mississippi
    Why would you do that? My five BO's have used nothing but nipples for the last eight months with no problems whatsoever. Cups tend to freeze and also get trash in them which necessitates having to clean them, a thing you never have to worry about with just nipples. It seems to me to just add a level of complexity which is not really needed. Believe me, the chickens don't care!

4. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    Thanks Bolton, I was hoping someone would say that....How many nipples for 6 chickens?

5. BellevueOmlet

BellevueOmlet Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 10, 2010
    They will work on the same supply but will choose the cups like chickencanoe said. They like open source water.

6. Hawgon

Aug 22, 2011
    Vancouver, WA
    I might have 2 lines...with nipples on one and cups on the other and then I can turn off the cup line in the winter if I have freezing problems or for cleaning etc. I still might use both....Fairly in-expensive for only 6 chickens...I was thinking 3 of each should be plenty...Any adivice on that would be appreciated...

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by