Nipples system finished

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by lpfdco237, Mar 9, 2017.

1. lpfdco237

lpfdco237 Out Of The Brooder

Apr 25, 2015
    I have a 25 gallon barrel that will fill from the gutters on the coop. That's their email drinking water. From there it's piped into the coop with 2 nipples and then heads into the run with two more nipples. I have a shutoff option to keep the water only inside during freezing temperatures and a drain at the very end shld I need to empty the entire system.

I put the pipes and nipples a little high with the expectations of putting paving stones under to give the hens a boost if necessary.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. MasterOfClucker

MasterOfClucker Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2016
    Iowa
    Looks great!

Sadly,Its very hard to get them to use it.I would suggest putting a bucket under it to catch the water that leaks from it.

3. lpfdco237

Apr 25, 2015
    They've actually taken right to the nipple! I have them in my basement currently until the storm passes but they're drinking from nipples I put in a old jug.

4. DanversChickens

DanversChickens Out Of The Brooder

Jul 9, 2015
    Out in the county
    Nice set up but aren't you concerned with arsenic in the shingles leaching into the water, not to mention other chemical contaminates with asphalt singles? I keep insulated coolers (round) in my pen with nipples. From day old to pullet to hen, my chickens take to the nipples easily. I switched to the nipples that have the tiny cup underneath to control for the dripping... Everyone should use nipples w/barrels, buckets or coolers - it's the easily most effective watering and when coupled with the pvc tubing like commercial set ups, it's even more effective for larger flocks.

5. lpfdco237

Apr 25, 2015
    I'm really not concerned about it at all. I think people overthink things - they're animals. What do you think they do in the wild?

Besides, people have been using rain water for years to water their animals. And I have a larger system that I use to water my garden so if it's good enough for me, it's good enough for the animals.

6. MrsChickens

MrsChickens Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2017
    Secret
    I understand, but when I looked at reroofing my house, I was shocked at the mds papers on the various shingles available. Most are made in China from mixture of recycled materials and asphalt. I collect rainwater for my gardens, but keep the dogs from drinking it.

7. lpfdco237

Apr 25, 2015
    That doesn't make much sense to me. If you're willing to water your garden with the rain water, any chemicals are going into the soil and then are absorbed by the plants and then transferred to your vegetables.

8. MrsChickens

MrsChickens Just Hatched

Mar 14, 2017
    Secret
    flower gardens...I use drip irrigation from tap on my vegetables.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by