NIPPLES

Discussion in 'Feeding & Watering Your Flock' started by 3forfree, Nov 23, 2012.

1. 3forfree

3forfree Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    Took the chicks out of the basement and into the garage today, and introduced them to a water bottle with a nipple on it. I left the quart jar waterer to see what would happen with the nipple. I didn't get the door of the brooder shut and one of them was drinking from it, then the others had to find out what was going on and in a matter of minutes they had all tried it, and seemed to like it. My brooder isn't real high and the water bottle is alittle big as the chicks are growing, 5wks. It swings alot as they are pecking at it. I'll make something alittle different, thinking about pvc and a 5gallon pail.

2. Chicky boom boom 27

Chicky boom boom 27 Out Of The Brooder

Sep 6, 2011
    Iowa
    Did you do anything special to get them to try it? I just ordered my nipple waterers from Farmtek today.

Thanks!

3. TNBEARCHICK

TNBEARCHICK Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 17, 2012
    JOHNSON CITY
    I havent done any nipples yet but we r working on making it our next project.[​IMG]

4. 3forfree

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I didn't do anything but put the nipple on a plastic bottle cap put it back on the bottle then hang it from the top of the brooder,

5. gabrielle1976

gabrielle1976 Overrun With Chickens

Feb 21, 2009
    Columbia river gorge
    whats he diffence between regular water bottles ike for rabbits and useing a chicken nipple O.O if they can drink from one shouldnt the be able to drink from the other ?

6. 3forfree

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I've wondered the same thing. I have some water bottles laying around that I'm not using any more, I'm going to try them.

7. lookyhereboy

lookyhereboy Out Of The Brooder

Sep 28, 2012
    Drury, MO
    I started using a 3.5 gallon bucket with a lid and three nipple waterers and it works great. My girls were about7 months old when I changed them over to it on top of putting them in a new larger coop at the same time. They were confused and had to get quite thirsty before I could get them to use it but use it they do. I spent alot of time sitting and tapping the nipple to get them to drink. After 2 days they finally got it. It didn't help that it was rainy the first day I put them in the coop so they got plenty of rain water off the ground. It works great and now I use a bird bath de-icer (safe for a plastic bucket), to keep the water flowing in the cold weather.

8. 3forfree

Mar 17, 2010
    essexville, michigan
    I put a rabbit waterer into the cage today and the chicks played with a for a little while, and never went back to it. They aren't using the bottle with the nipple on it either, guess they like the quart jar watterer better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by