Nippy Pullet

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by AllisonD, Sep 18, 2012.

1. AllisonD

AllisonD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2012
    I have a six month old BR pullet who just reached point of lay; for a few weeks before hand, she picked up this nasty habit of biting me. Nobody else in the house has complained about being bitten, and it's not little exploratory pecks, either. I can't sit with the girls without her sneaking up and having a nip. My legs have little bruises all over from her. So what's the best way to stop this behavior? I've tried pushing her away, holding her down when she squats, even picking her up and holding her... nothing seems to help. I don't see her pecking the other girls, and I'm at a bit of a loss as to what to do next.

2. tommysgirl

tommysgirl Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 18, 2012
    Do you hand feed her? I have one who does the same thing, she just started about 10 days ago, kind of charging up and peck/grab/pulling. Someone said that maybe because I had fed them all meal worms from my hand she had become confused about what was and was not food. She pecks my fingers and at the veins in my feet which maybe look worms like to her?

Anyway after I researched it, I started doing all the things you said you do I do but haul her around for awhile ...several minutes... and one time held her under my arm while I picked figs for her sisters. She didn't get any until a minute or so later. Also when I set her down, I push down gently one her back until she submits to it (no struggle) and then I ruffle her feathers a bit before I release her. This seems to be working. She hasn't totally stopped but the behavior has decreased and I think it will be more successful as time goes on.

Good Luck!

ETA: Mine is a Red Star so a RIR hybrid and she is also going to start laying any day/hour now. Research also told me that some hens get sorta PMS like before they start to lay but they calm down once it becomes routine. I hope that holds true for you and me :)

Last edited: Sep 18, 2012
  3. AllisonD

AllisonD Out Of The Brooder

Apr 27, 2012
    Thanks for your response! Yes, I hand-feed all of them... there's a kid in the house, so we wanted the chickens to be tame enough that she would enjoy spending time with them, and like I said, I've never heard from anyone else on the biting thing, and she picks them up and handles them all the time. Maybe I'm being impatient. I'll keep trying my "non-violent" dominance tactics and see if she gets better. I appreciate the advice!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by