Nite Guard - Has anyone tried this?

jloftin60

In the Brooder
11 Years
Oct 24, 2008
DeRidder, LA
I've seen this "Nite Guard" in several advertisements, but was wondering
if anyone has had any good or bad results. Northern Tool has them on sale
for $27 each. Now days, that is almost the cost of a good laying hen.

Here is the website http://www.niteguard.com/

You know, I was just about to post about the same thing. I just saw an owl when I went outside and it scared me to death! It was so quiet, I never knew it was there until it flew.

They recommend 4 of those bad boys for owl control. I want to see if anybody else has luck before I spend that kind of money.

SAVE YOUR MONEY........... You can get the same affect from putting a couple of red christmas lights close together and put them up around your coop or yard. This doesn't work. SCAM

You're right, it didn't work at all. I had coons inside of coop eatten my guinea, I had 6 of those things all around my cop.

I bought 4 of the night guards in january,just days after coon attacks on two different nites,I installed them as directed,haven,t had any problems since,I live in a rural area with owls,raccoons,possums plentiful,,I have watched possums make a 200 detour around my yard away from my coop and run,even my cat refuses to go near it after dark,just my experience with the night guards,,happy easter BYC

You folks who say they won't work and Christmas lights will do the same.
Have you bought this product and tried it or are you guessing?

Quote:
I have not used the product. A friend has and we sit on the deck and watch the coon come right up to the guard and try to push it out of the way to get in the coop. This is when we turn the dogs loose. The coons are treed and sent to coon heaven by way of the Bar B Que or roasting pan. They do the same thing with the christmas lights, only the lights are much cheaper. All these lights do is try to make a predator think there is another predator already there.

I bought one set, and here's the deal... predators are supposed to see the red lights and think something else is already at the coop. They have to be placed about 6 inches off the ground, and they have to be moved every couple of days. It's a pain in the tush and I still had racoon problems.

For the same amount of money, you can buy an electric fence charger, the standoffs and the wire. One wire at the top and one at the bottom will keep most predators out. I just moved my henhouse and run, so that's what I'll be doing this week.

Oh, and don't forget what hens are worth! I should have purchased the fence charger a long time ago.

Kathy, Bellville TX
www.CountryChickens.com

I hate to break it to you folks, but most animals are color blind and cant even see a red light. I used to fox hunt and used a spotlight with a red lens to help spot the foxes. You could shine the light on a fox coming into the call from a mile away because its eyes would look like the tailights on a car. The fox wouldnt even slow down when it was hit with the light. I have had them comein and set under the truck and bark at me. The same holds true for cyotes and dogs. In fact, if you where to stand in a large field and someone shined a red light on you, you would see the bright red glow from the light, but you would have a hard time seeing the light around you. Now a bright white light would send the animals running for cover.

My suggestion would be to get a motion activated battery powered light to hang outside your coop. Just dont get a light with a red lens.

Back
Top Bottom