nite guard?..

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by americana-chick, Oct 30, 2008.

1. suburban farm girl

suburban farm girl Chillin' With My Peeps

Nov 16, 2007
    SF Bay Area
    Hmmmm...

It sounds a little suspicious to me, and I must admit cracking a grin when it described how the flashing light seemed to a predator like the eyes of another animal watching them, so of course they would feel uncomfortable and leave.

They do a great story. And often that is what sells an item. (I remember hearing about a beaten up old doll on EBay that brought quite a lot of money because of the elaborate story someone created about how she was haunted and the creepy things her former owners had experienced with her. Suddenly lots and lots of people wanted this doll...)

I also have heard those devices that emit a high pitch sound that are supposed to scare away rodents don't work. Again, they tell a good story and sound convincing in what they're saying, but....

How much is the blinking eye? Maybe it would be worth it to buy one and see what results you get.

2. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    The premise is idiotic (actual predators' eyes DO NOT flash red unless you shine a light right at them, and since animals are not wandering around out there shining flashlights at each other, uh, [​IMG])

That does not guarantee it wouldn't work -- there are a few, a very few, things in life where the premise is apparently idiotic but in actual empirical fact they do work, usually for totally different reasons -- but it sure does not give one confidence [​IMG]

There are some threads on the subject in the Predators And Pest section of this forum, you might try doing a search for them.

I'm suspicious of anyone who says it works on the basis of 'I have one and nothing bad has happened to my chickens' - like the old saw about elephant repellant. But, I don't know for SURE.

JMHO,

Pat

3. Fudgie

Fudgie Hatching Queen - Got Fudge?

A friend of mine lives in the woods and they have them all around their farm and you can hear the coyotes in the woods but they have not lost anything to the predators. Of course they have hotwire up all over too.
    [​IMG]

4. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    I think they work along the same lines as hanging up those "free aol" cds around the yard. The glitter of light to a predator can be construed as a muzzle flash or as just movement of some unknown thing that is "watching" them in their mind. The pred thinks "I can't see him, but what if something is there and he can see me.." Motion sensor lights work for a while as well, but if the happenings are seen to be a pattern and non threatening, then the preds will begin ignoring them. I use the muzzleflash method myself...with a real muzzle and flash..... [​IMG]

5. missourichickenmama

missourichickenmama SURPRISE!

Jul 17, 2008
    Missouri
    LIVESTOCK against coyote, fox, bear, mountain lion, wolf and bobcat

POULTRY against owls, hawks, raccoon, mink, weasel, fox, coyote and skunk

GARDENS, SWEET CORN, ORCHARDS, VINEYARDS and FLOWERS against deer and raccoon

CAMPSITES against bear, raccoon and mountain lion

BIRD FEEDERS against raccoon and bear

PURPLE MARTIN HOUSES against hawks and owls

FISH PONDS against blue heron and raccoon

CABINS and PROPERTY against intruders.

[​IMG] [​IMG] [​IMG] and how does it do ALL of that? particularly the intruders part?​

6. LilBizzy

LilBizzy Chicken Storyteller

May 20, 2008
    Maryland
    I don't think it would work.
    I like the intruder claim also. To think of all these people spending thousands of dollars on security systems.
    I can't imagine a mountain lion being afraid of a little set of red eyes.
    I think I need to market something- like a solar operated recording of bears and lions, that also does like the automatic air freshner, but emits bear urine smell. Now that would scare away some predators

7. patandchickens

patandchickens Flock Mistress

Apr 20, 2007
    Ontario, Canada
    I actually have less trouble believing it helps vs human intruders than vs predatory animals. If you're skulking around someone's place after dark and see a regular little red blink, what are you gonna think -- security system! (Mind, some people may then think 'so there must be something really gooooood they're protecting... [​IMG])

Pat

8. prariechiken

prariechiken Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 9, 2007
    Midwest
    I know that that company has been selling them for years now, so they must be working for somebody.

9. antlers

antlers Chillin' With My Peeps

Jun 20, 2008
    East Cent Minnesota
    Quote:Or a red dot scope trained on them....

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by