Nite Guard

Discussion in 'Predators and Pests' started by fowler_chick, Aug 8, 2009.

1. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    We got our randallburkey catalog today...while thuming through it came across the Nite guard....it's solor powerd and the way i tihnk it set's up is that you put it on each end post of your run and coop....it's designed to flash little beems of red light to resemble predators (on comming critters will think there's another animal in the area and leave) just wondering if any one has seen or use this...if not what do you use for predator control?

2. Bizzybirdy

Bizzybirdy Songster

Apr 14, 2008
    North of Nashville
    >>just wondering if any one has seen or use this...if not what do you use for predator control?<<

A 20 g. Winchester pump. lol

Heard about the red lights but do not know if they work...I know regular motion lights do not keep predators away, at least not racoons and possums.

3. Buster52

Buster52 Songster

Jan 28, 2009
    Geronimo Oklahoma
    Quote:Not to sound redundant or anything, but...

We use a dog. She kills possums, attacks and repels coons, keeps "marauding" dogs off our property, and takes us for walks on occasion. I can't think of a more effective critter deterrent than a good dog. Even if a coon happens to get to our coop, it doesn't have time to find a weak point (and there are plenty of them, let me tell you) because she is all over it before it has a chance.

We are so impressed with how effective this is, we picked up another one. A Great Pyranees puppy.

You can't guard your property all the time. A good dog can.

4. Judy

Judy Crowing

Feb 5, 2009
    South Georgia
    I have read very mixed reviews on the Nite Guard. Some say they are worthless, some say they help some if moved around frequently. I cannot believe a raccoon would pay any attention, or a coyote, for that matter.

Dogs, electric fences, and a Fort Knox coop and run are probably the most common approaches.

Last edited by a moderator: Aug 8, 2009
  5. cgmccary

cgmccary Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I use these & the only predator I still have a problem with, other than the domestic dog or cat (which the lights mean nothing to), is an occasional opossum. However, the opossum is always a juvenile so I figure it is not learned in the ways of the natural world. Other potential predators at night for me are coons & owls which these lights seem to work. I also have not seen any rats or signs of the same since I started using them. I have had them for about 3 years, and they are still working every night. It looks like a security system around my run at night.

6. werecatrising

werecatrising Songster

Jul 4, 2009
    California
    I'm with Buster. My dog is the most effective form of predator control.

7. BroomFarm

BroomFarm In the Brooder

May 3, 2009
    Mooresville
    I am sure to put a scrambled egg in Hershey's (lab/rott mix) bowl once in a while, and in exchange, he barks, bites and bullies any would-be predators away from our hens. Now, given the chance, he's also proven that he will "play" with one until it stops playing back (kills it), but as long as he's not left alone with them, unsupervised, he does a wonderful job of keeping them safe.

We have a well-built coop, secure run and eggcellent, four-legged, furry, predator protection that will play fetch until your arm falls off. [​IMG]

8. fowler_chick

fowler_chick Songster

Feb 8, 2009
    South Western Kansas
    our dog run is about 15 ft away from the chicken coop, the dog's bark enough to scare some thing away. although our run is chain link not flimsy chicken wire, i have yards of chicken wire just incase i want to let my chicken go broody next year....we did have a possum problem , one was shot and the other hit by our local cop with his cruiser. oooppsss.....

9. lleighmay

lleighmay Songster

May 21, 2008
    Woodlawn, VA
    I can't imagine that a blinking red light would have much effect- after all, red lights are what zoos use in displays of their nocturnal animals so you can see them in their exhibits. I don't think it would alarm them at all because it comes with no scent, natural movement, etc. Maybe if it was inside and you were shining it all over the fkoors, walls, and ceiling just so you could watch your cat try to catch it.........

10. cgmccary

cgmccary Songster

Sep 14, 2007
    NE Alabama
    I have the nite guard lights around my smaller pens where I put 4-16 week old juveniles, and I have not had any attacks on these pens, never. The fence is only 42 inches high. These smaller pens are also where I put a hen brooding chicks. Maybe over the years I have just been lucky.(there is an adjacent pen to the left and my main run to the left of it. You can see one of the night guard lites in the upper right of the photograph. I have one facing each direction around the two pens. I keep a plastic owl on the railing above (you can see its shadow in the bottom center of the photo. Smart predators will avoid the blinking red lights of which zoo animals are not.
    [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by: