NJ giant w. purplish blue comb, weakness,won't eat, gasps PHOTO ADDED

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by weesy68, Sep 9, 2009.

1. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    My wonderful 15 lb NJ giant hen has a very purplish comb and face, feels warm to the touch, seems weak and lethargic, has little appetite, and gasps for breath at times. 3 other hens are perfectly fine. I've added antibiotics to the water, and viatmins to the food (including a mash of oatmeal, plain yoghurt and honey).

I've been feeding quite a lot of bread to them as snacks that a neighbor gave me. Could there be a link? Does this sound like a specific disease to you? If I had to guess she honestly looks like she has congestive heart failure, but she's less than a year old.[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 9, 2009
  2. Cherokeerainbow

Cherokeerainbow Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 23, 2009
    Turner, Maine
    except for the comb...sounds like what's going on with my Roo.
    I also have been feeding bread as a treat everyday... Perhaps this is bad??

3. weesy68

weesy68 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 3, 2009
    Stratford CT
    [​IMG]

This is how she looks up close, she should be a much lighter pink in the face.

4. kathyinmo

kathyinmo Nothing In Moderation

What kind of antibiotics? It's really not a good idea to give antibiotics without first knowing what you are treating. It would need to be the correct type of antibiotic or medication. Have you wormed your chickens? Have you checked very carefully for lice or mites? These too can take down a chicken rather quickly.

Last edited: Sep 10, 2009

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by