NJ - Sussex County Poultry Fanciers Annual Fall Show 2012

What are the testing requirements for ducks? In PA they only have to be tested for AI, and I don't think they even can be tested for pullorum. So they don't have to be tested at all, do they?

They may have changed the rules. It's been a few years since I've been registered as a tester. I used to have my flock tested every 30 days. AI for the auction was every couple weeks or so. It would be best to call the state and find out though. Both tests are very easy though, and testers generally don't mind doing them.

Just checked and seems like it has been changed to every 90 days which is a lot more convenient. I'm still baffled as to why they require it in the first place. There hasn't been a case of the disease in many, many years here in NJ.

I looked up info for AI tests. According to the state, they are only good for 10 days. I remember that's what it was for the auction in hackettstown, and people didn't want to have to test every other week or so just to sell birds. Here is the link:
http://www.state.nj.us/agriculture/divisions/ah/prog/mf.html

Again, you should call the NJDA directly if you have questions though. They will be able to give you exact answers.

I will call the club tester and try to find out the answers to all of your questions. Since he tests my birds, I never think about it - I just have it done. Give me a couple of days.

Lauren, the state has the birds tested for pullorum to cover their butts. There hasn't been a case in over thirty years.

Hey Roberta! Yes, it's me, Martha. I hope to see you at the show! Are you bringing Marans? My son is going to show our one and only BCM cockerel. We'll see how that goes, good experience for him.

The show entrance form says to attach test results to the entrance form...so I'm going to attach the ones I have.

It also says we are responsible to feed and water our own birds, I'm assuming that means the show provides shavings and cages? Does anyone know if we need to bring the feeders, or are there cups or something already in the cages?

Stoopid,

Waterfowl are exempt from the test ONLY if they are kept in coops separate from chickens and other poultry. If they are kept together, they should still be tested. Some testers won't do them either way, but some will still want to do them if they see they are mixed. If they are separate, then you are good to go without the test.

Back
Top Bottom