NNJ My daughters goldfish died..or the black silkie cohin switch...

Discussion in 'Pictures & Stories of My Chickens' started by thewarriorchild, Feb 8, 2009.

1. thewarriorchild

thewarriorchild Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    We had a beautiful black silkie mix and she died. Like you sometimes do with a goldfish when it dies you go to the store and try to replace it..I am going to try and do this, this time for her chicken, to much sadness this year. Trying to spare my daughter more trama. Thanks! I will get pictures if anyone has any... Thanks

2. AHappychick

AHappychick Wanna-be Farmer

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    I have a black silkie mix and so does tileman on BYC he has tons of them and if mine does not look like yours I bet he has one that does!

I am in Westchester and so is he, but my SO lives in Boonton NJ, If you post I will see if yours looks like any of mine if so you can have her just about to lay too... and if not try tileman he has a few posts he is selling mixed Bantams (mostly silkie crosses) and quail at the moment. here is his post: https://www.backyardchickens.com/forum/viewtopic.php?id=123772

Last edited: Feb 8, 2009
  3. kryptoniteqhs

kryptoniteqhs Rosecomb Rich

Nov 14, 2008
    Perris, CA
    aww that is soo sweet of you, Ahappychick!!!!!!!! I hope everything goes well!

4. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    http://cid-b751ef9e0842c02e.skydrive.live.com/browse.aspx/Silkie%20mix

Thanks
    ! It took me looking on two computers to find them! I thought I had more. She is in the front left facing away in the one and facing toward you on the right in the other, these were when she wasnt fully grown in. She was fully black. I will see if I can find a better picture. She was a cochin silkie mix I think and was one of our smaller ones. I hope I can pull this off.... I guess since she would be in the coop I could always blame moulting on any changes??

5. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    it is hard to see your pic I will go take a pic of the one I have and see if you think it looks similar enough

6. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

7. thechickenchick

thechickenchick Born city, Living country

Mar 8, 2008
    Eaton, Colorado
    I am sorry to hear about your daughters sweet bird. [​IMG] I hope with the help of these terrific BYCers that you can replace her.

I have a switch story for you. My son was in the first grade. We too had alot of trauma going on. Death, divorce etc.... He spent the summer with his Dad. Everytime I talked to him on the phone he would ask me if I fed his goldfish Cosmo. I assured him I did and he was just fine.

Well the day before DS was to come home I went to his room to tidy it up and feed Cosmo. There was that darn fish floating at the top of the bowl. I was determined not to see that little boy cry upon coming home. I took the dead fish in a baggie to the pet store!

The store belonged to a friend, thank goodness! Tim and I spent hours trying to match this fish, color, size, everything. Finally we thought we had a perfect match. I paid the $2 and went home to place the fake Cosmo!

Next afternoon, DS is in his room less than a minute. I hear "Mom, who is this in my bowl?!" Well its Cosmo honey! DS- "No it isn't, its an imposter!"
    So I told him the whole story! He named the fish Imposter!

Last edited: Feb 10, 2009
  8. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    LOL thanks for the story, hopefully I will not be renaming the bird! I asked her from the picture of her all by herself if that was her chicken, she said I think so if her face featers foof out. So if that girl has face feathers that are poofy then this might work. [​IMG] Thanks!

9. AHappychick

Dec 16, 2008
    westchester
    well I am sure after a good bath the face feathers would poof out more. I had just been feeding them before I took the pic so it had a bit of wet/dirty face lol

I am a sucker for children and it sounds as though your daughter has been through enough. She has not noticed it missing?

PS would you like to make a trade for her, not nessisarry but would be cool if you had a silkie or show girl [​IMG]

10. thewarriorchild

Mar 29, 2008
    Ringwood area, NJ
    No she has not noticed them missing because I take care of them while her charge is the cats. It has been to cold to have them outside so she hasnt noticed because she really hasnt been out there. She helps with coop clean outs and feeding in warm weather. [​IMG]

I have mutts, I have Sumatras that are young and I have a feeling are mixed. I will go read your PM there is a little guy waving at me [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by