No air cell? When is it formed?

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by adrian, Nov 22, 2009.

1. adrian

adrian Chillin' With My Peeps

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    I have an egg that was laid just a day ago, however, there is no air cell visible at all. [​IMG] Does this mean it won't develop later on? If an egg is fresh, is it possible that the air cell still has to develop? It is really unfortunate, as I was looking forward to these eggs hatching and although I know this one is fertile (only 24 hrs later I can see a very prominent germinal disc upon candling - I tend to use this as a way to determine fertility very early) I don't see an air cell at all. Is there any hope? I don't want to risk trying to hatch an egg without an air cell, so most likely if I do not see development in the next few days, I will toss the egg, growing embryo and all. [​IMG]

2. Katy

Katy Flock Mistress

A fresh, newly laid egg has basically no visible air cell.

3. neferset

neferset Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 23, 2009
    Western North Carolina
    Katy is right. It will hatch fine. Don't throw it out! The only danger with an egg that fresh is if you can't tell which end is the big end due to egg shape.

4. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    Thank you very much! I can tell which end is which, I just can't see a visible air cell. It is exactly 24 hours old in about an hour so yeah, it is very fresh. [​IMG] I find they hatch better if they're set right away but I'd never paid attention to whether or not I could see an air cell this early.

Update: It's got a little air cell now, so my worries are at ease. I suppose I'm a little too anxious with my eggs.

Last edited: Nov 22, 2009
  5. Tuffoldhen

Tuffoldhen Flock Mistress

Jan 30, 2007
    WV
    Patience!! [​IMG]

6. adrian

May 12, 2009
    Regina, SK
    It is a virtue that is hard to remember when you are incubating eggs. [​IMG]

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by