1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

No airsac in egg

Discussion in 'Incubating & Hatching Eggs' started by Roree-23, Jun 8, 2011.

1. Roree-23

Roree-23 Out Of The Brooder

May 22, 2011
    I have three eggs due to hatch this weekend. I had 4, but one was rotten and the broody hen pushed it out of the nest and it exploded. None of the gunk went on the other chicks but it did go onto the hen. I wiped most of it off her but it was impossible to get it all.
    Anyway I candled quickly this morning and 2 of the eggs are mostly black with an airsac like I was expecting. The other eggs seems to have no visible airsac. I was fairly sure it had a chick in at 12 days. It also has a small amount of gunk on it, I don't know if it came from this egg or just wiped off the hen though.

I have pretty much given up on this egg but was wondeirng what it meant that there no airsac.

Also, how do you clean a chicken?

Thanks

2. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    The "clean a chicken" part is easy. Just get a tub of tepid water, around 95 degrees, and use baby shampoo like Johnson's or the equivalent. The chicken will NOT like it and act like you're killing it, and afterwards will go off and be mad and sulk and spend a long time preening, but it will live through it. Just be sure to dry it as well as you can with some towels before you release it, and preferably do this when its nice and warm to even hot outside, so it can find a good place to dry. DON'T let it loose where there is sand or dirt until its fully dry, or it will make itself a mess again -- you might need to put it in a cage or dog carrier or something for a few hours.

The worst thing I ever had to bathe was a feral/stray cat. She was an older cat, good natured, but terrified, and she was filthy, matted, and had fleas. We managed to get through the trimming and mat removal without too much trouble, but the bath just freaked her. I finally tied her into a pillow case with just her head sticking out and bathed her pillow case and all. We both lived through it.

3. Roree-23

May 22, 2011
    Thanks, she smells like feet at the moment which is not good...

4. Moonkit

Moonkit Chillin' With My Peeps

Apr 20, 2011
    Richardson, Texas
    Quote:Birds can be such drama queens... We took my cockatiels to have their nails and wings trimmed and when they picked up Ghost, he started screaming bloody murder that we could hear through the sound proofed glass of the room they used.. and they hadn't even started clipping or trimming yet. The way he made it sound.. you would have sworn that they were plucking out his feathers, one by one. We did warn them of his likely bad behavior and his ability to draw blood through two towels. He's a really bad tempered bird [​IMG]

5. Roree-23

May 22, 2011
    Very strangely, she didn't mind having a bath or being blow dried! She seemed mostly calm about it, and her sister kindly sat on her eggs while she was gone. [​IMG]

All I need to do is show this to my dogs, so they can see that bathing is not going to kill them; they are the drama queens in our house. My oldest dog will start yelping just waiting to see the vet...

6. Denninmi

Denninmi Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 26, 2009
    Well, that's good. I bet she smells a lot better.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by