1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login, otherwise join BYC here!

No appropriate place to request understanding hug...forgive me

Discussion in 'Managing Your Flock' started by chickchoon1, Mar 8, 2015.

1. chickchoon1

chickchoon1 Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    Am a happy human and get thru stuff(in own way!) but got home this a.m. from stayin over at my mas apt and son met me at door so something wasn't well. Remaining duck(Duckduck) was taken by coon at some point in morn or?.She was in small paneled kennel with tarp(pulled taught?) over top and desperately hungry coon got in. Son got up and looked out back window to see coon in pen eating her. too late. I am so po at myself and am po at the fear she felt, no doubt. I refuse to give up on having fowl and the ducks were my fave pets(of fowl) and winter has been so stupidly brutal on wild animals too. NO PLACE ELSE TO VENT.Lord forgive my negligence.(btw i feel physically wonderful so thats a good thing!!!!) Onward.[​IMG]

2. Kelsie2290

Kelsie2290 True BYC Addict Premium Member

Feb 18, 2011
    Ohio
    So sorry for your loss of Duckduck :hugs Don't beat yourself up too much, everybody makes mistakes along the line, at least you know that predator proofing is a priority with coons around now.

3. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    TY but I have screwed up many many many times(particuarly recently) and obviously am looking to be mean to myself. forgive me. am eating her last egg now and wish i would run out of tears. if i do get any ducks again the pen will be right next to house.

4. lazy gardener

lazy gardener Chicken Obsessed

Nov 7, 2012
    CENTRAL MAINE
    So sorry for your loss, and sorry that your son had to witness it. I hope you are able to move on, and set up predator proof housing for your next flock. Build it STURDY with 1/2" hardware cloth with screws and washers, not little staples.

5. chickchoon1

Sep 5, 2014
    Ohio
    TY. Just finished food(which included her egg-nothing affects this appetite, fortunately) and feel mentally better. Have 29 chix left and their door was ajar this morning but all seems intact there,hopefully. Can't protect them from ground predators yet( NO money) but will finish with netting(partially up- I THINK its dettered hawks but will keep doing more netting until ALL enclosed.Son has a cold and felt nasty while trying to get the coon(we love the wild critters but have decided any coons rouge enough to come into pens need to be dealt humanely with asap) and couldn't get her. Hes a tough but compassionate kid. Literally had NO losses(to knowledge) first 10 yrs of fowldom so this is reality.

6. azygous

azygous Chicken Obsessed

Dec 11, 2009
    Colorado Rockies
    Oh, we've all done stupid stuff that has caused the death of some of our flock, and just remembering all of mine hurts all over again. So we all understand how it feels for our flock to have to suffer the consequences of our learning curve.

Just think about today forward, and making changes so it doesn't happen again. You have a ton of support here!

1 person likes this.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by