No Avian Vet Available Near Me

Apr 30, 2021
Rocky Mountains
I'm worried for my little chick. She is 2 weeks old today, and has an infected sore on the back of her head. I've got her separated, and I put bluekote on it and now I am routinely putting antibiotic cream on it. It started looking worse, it got super puffy and started leaking fluid. Today it looks slightly smaller and its not leaking. She is teeny tiny compared to her sisters, but she is eating and drinking normally- and very active. She's not happy about being alone, but calms down when we hold her. I've been told to see a vet, but I think that it would be a waste of time since most vets around here treat large livestock. I haven't been able to find one who can treat her- and Idk if she needs it. I've had lots of chicks, but this is the first I've had one who is injured!

I'm worried for my little chick. She is 2 weeks old today, and has an infected sore on the back of her head. I've got her separated, and I put bluekote on it and now I am routinely putting antibiotic cream on it. It started looking worse, it got super puffy and started leaking fluid. Today it looks slightly smaller and its not leaking. She is teeny tiny compared to her sisters, but she is eating and drinking normally- and very active. She's not happy about being alone, but calms down when we hold her. I've been told to see a vet, but I think that it would be a waste of time since most vets around here treat large livestock. I haven't been able to find one who can treat her- and Idk if she needs it. I've had lots of chicks, but this is the first I've had one who is injured!
It wouldn't hurt to call a few of the vets in your area to see if they could help. And being on the back of her head tea tree oil may be safe.

Do you have an idea how she got the injury? Could there be sharp wires protruding where she could have snagged her head as she was pushing through the mesh of poultry fencing? That would be a first order of business correcting that.

You are correct to think you do not need a vet for this injury. But you do need to faithfully care for it, cleaning it daily and keeping the tissue moist with an antibiotic ointment.

If you use Vetericyn spray on the wound after cleaning it, let it dry, then apply Blu-kote, let that dry, then apply the ointment, you can safely return her to her mates. She will do much better than to be isolated.

Two days ago and today. It seems better than yesterday- it was scary looking yesterday. It’s purple from the bluekote

Attachments

• 6B4C4C80-63F5-424D-9D43-E86B3E605E46.jpeg
    6B4C4C80-63F5-424D-9D43-E86B3E605E46.jpeg
    385.5 KB · Views: 8
  • 9068A5BF-3218-4736-9469-B182160651A6.jpeg
    9068A5BF-3218-4736-9469-B182160651A6.jpeg
    386.7 KB · Views: 7
Do you have an idea how she got the injury? Could there be sharp wires protruding where she could have snagged her head as she was pushing through the mesh of poultry fencing? That would be a first order of business correcting that.

You are correct to think you do not need a vet for this injury. But you do need to faithfully care for it, cleaning it daily and keeping the tissue moist with an antibiotic ointment.

If you use Vetericyn spray on the wound after cleaning it, let it dry, then apply Blu-kote, let that dry, then apply the ointment, you can safely return her to her mates. She will do much better than to be isolated.
I have no idea what caused it. I separated her when it started swelling and put blue kote on it. Then I put her back and they pecked her so I separated them again. The only thing that makes sense is pecking injury that got infected? 🤷🏻‍♀️

Vetericyn spray is on the way from Amazon- hopefully it comes sooner than later! But I’ll do the rest. How often would you do the above??

Two days ago and today. It seems better than yesterday- it was scary looking yesterday. It’s purple from the bluekote
I think it's the same thing Kiwi has.
Don't worry, her adult feathers are just struggling to come out, she should be okay.
When Kiwi went to the vet, she was prescribed some CHLORHEXIDINE.
It's this red stuff that you dilute with water until it's pink and apply to her neck 2 times a day

Back
Top Bottom