1. If this is your first time on BYC, we suggest you start with one of these three options:
    Raising Chickens Chicken Coops Join BYC
    If you're already a member of our community, click here to login & click here to learn what's new!

NO BROODIES....THEN 3 IN ONE WEEK!!!

Discussion in 'Chicken Behaviors and Egglaying' started by imriu1969, May 8, 2009.

1. imriu1969

imriu1969 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    SE Ohio
    I have been wanting a hen to go broody. This past Saturday one of my Marans went broody so I seperated her and gave her a few eggs to sit on. Yes I was excited! [​IMG] She seems very determined!! All was OK, until Monday/Tuesday when another Maran seemed to be exhibiting similiar broody traits....screeching, puffing up and pecking at me when I tried to check her for eggs while she was siitting in the nest. The next day my 3RD Maran starting doing it too!! UGH...went from none to 3 in less than a week!!!![​IMG]
    Is broodiness CONTAGIOUS?? I hadn't given the other two hens eggs until last PM when they seem to be getting more persistent!! So I gave in and gave them an egg each. I don't have the room to seperate them also....so only the first one is in my hastily made "broody" pen. It is an old kitty litter box with a top on it and she is in a small pen in a darkened corner of the barn.
    Any comments or suggestions??

2. CoopCrazy

CoopCrazy Brooder Boss

Mar 3, 2009
    Columbus,IN
    That sounds like how it would go at my house ... Pray for one then all go broody...,. Sorry cant help with advise...

3. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Yep that's gonna be me, about the time I order my incubator.

4. crackertrail

crackertrail Out Of The Brooder

Feb 28, 2009
    Hardee County
    My Ameracauna hen has surprised me. She started laying in Feb. and now she went broody yesterday. I noticed her on the nest in the morning and there she was still on the nest in the afternoon. The friend who gave me the chickens said they didn't go broody usually.

5. imriu1969

imriu1969 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 31, 2009
    SE Ohio
    Well if all goes well the first batch should hatch on Memorial Day weekend, May 23rd. We will have to see if the other hens eggs make it or not since I can't seperate them from the "flock"

6. gritsar

gritsar Cows, Chooks & Impys - OH MY!

Nov 9, 2007
    SW Arkansas
    Quote:There is a way you can seperate a hen from the flock without really seperating her. Put her in a wire dog crate or even a traveling kennel. It will prevent the other hens from getting on her nest and disturbing her and keep them from adding fresh eggs to her clutch. Best to move her at night.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by