No Broodies?

NotReallyTyler

In the Brooder
6 Years
Nov 19, 2013
So I have four Rhode Island Reds and it's winter now of course, but even in the summer my hens would not sit on their eggs. Granted, they are all going to be a year old at Easter, and I had no rooster in the summer. Will they begin sitting in the spring since they'll be older and have a man or are my ladies just not broody?

Well it's hard to say. A hen will go broody, pretty much when they feel the urge. They say spring and early fall is a good time, but I have an Ameraucana broody right now! RIR's can occasionally go on maternity leave, but it's not widely renowned for them to do so. If you really want a better chance of getting a broody hen, consider purchasing a few Orpingtons, Cochins, or maybe a few bantams (like silkies). To encourage your girls to set, put some "dummy" eggs in a nesting box and see what happens.
smile.png

They may or may not. Hatchery or production RIR are not that broody since hatcheries have tried to breed it out of them, because they don't lay eggs when broody. Heritage types are more likely to. Broodys don't care whether or not there is a rooster around, so having a roo shouldn't really help make them go broody. You may get lucky and have some go broody, but I wouldn't count on it like I would a silkie, if you are really looking to hatch eggs next year.

I've been DYING to get a silkie or two. All the more excuse to fulfill my wishes. Thanks guys.

I have Buff Orpingtons and they haven't gone broody yet but then again I haven't really given them a chance. Maybe next spring I'll give one a shot at it. Good Luck.

P.S. I've heard Silkies will sit on a golf ball so They would definitely be a good choice.

So I have four Rhode Island Reds and it's winter now of course, but even in the summer my hens would not sit on their eggs. Granted, they are all going to be a year old at Easter, and I had no rooster in the summer. Will they begin sitting in the spring since they'll be older and have a man or are my ladies just not broody?

Rhode Island Reds have been bred to lay eggs so they rarely go broody.

You should get a couple hens of broody breeds, like Cochin, Brahma, Orpington, Java, etc.

Back
Top Bottom