No. California: Looking for supplies and coop

Discussion in 'Buy Sell Auction - Archives' started by my three chickens, Feb 5, 2008.

1. my three chickens

my three chickens Out Of The Brooder

Jan 13, 2008
    We're about to get our first chickens and need everything for taking care of them, from chickdom to maturity. Hoping to find these things used:

-Coop or shed that could be made into a coop [please don't try to sell us a new one if it is more than $150], for three chickens
    -Waterer and feeder for chicks
    -Waterer and feeder for grown chickens
    -Other supplies?

Can pick up most places in the Bay Area if you have this all, or anywhere north on 101 all the way to Eureka next week (2/10-12).

2. eggchel

eggchel Overrun With Chickens Premium Member

Dec 26, 2006
    Both Coasts
    Go straight to Craigslist.org and freecycle.org. You should be able to find a shed, a dog house, or maybe even a coop for your birds. Under the farm and garden section of craigslist, you may even find feeders, waterers, and fencing. Ive gotten all of that kind of stuff from both sites..... priced anywhere from free to very reasonable.

There is a large feed and supply store in Santa Rosa called Western Farm supply, or something like that. There are other feed and supply stores all over the bay area.
    Some of the outlying Walmarts even carry chicken feed, but not the ones right in the bay area metropolis.
    You can get a reflector type lamp and a heat bulb or red bulb at the big box hardware stores or ACE.

Welcome to BYC.
    Chel

3. User48

User48 Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 1, 2007
    Speaking of Craig's List, when I needed a coop (could actually still use several more), I placed an ad on Craig's List seeking a chicken tractor builder. I got tons of responses, and the person who ultimately built one for me used all recycled parts in an effort to keep the cost down. It helped us both out a lot as he needed some extra cash & I had neither enough time or adequate carprenty skills to do the job myself. You can say in the ad that you don't want to spend more than 150.00 and see where that takes you. Mine was built relatively quickly - within a week. He used hardware cloth & followed other specifications I laid out.

Good luck!

Laura

4. Wooden_Pony

Wooden_Pony Chillin' With My Peeps

RIght now on SF Bay Area Craig's List is someone selling off all their chicken supplies.

Check under Farm and Garden it is posted in there.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by