No carpentry skills but want to make a coop run need basic framing help

Discussion in 'Coop & Run - Design, Construction, & Maintenance' started by kaybee123, Jul 5, 2016.

1. kaybee123

kaybee123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    I want to build a run for my chickens but have no carpentry skills. Anyone have a how to frame a run for dummies video or step by step pics? I have quickcrete, 4x4 posts, 10 foot 2x4s and 2x6s, nails and hammer, hardware cloth and smaller chicken wire (for the top of the run), and a willing heart!!! Lol! I just am a little confused on how to get the framing started it done.

2. SunHwaKwon

SunHwaKwon Overrun With Chickens

Jul 19, 2015
    Eastern Shore, MD
    Look up any instructions for building a shed. Just don't put walls on it ;)

3. NickChillPhoto

NickChillPhoto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Decorah, IA
    My Coop
  4. Karens62

Karens62 Out Of The Brooder

Feb 10, 2010
    Marion, NC
    If you're doing this yourself, you might find it easier to build the individual walls flat on the ground. Make sure it's square and reinforce the corners if needed. Attach the chicken wire and hardware cloth while it's flat. Then, when you have the walls done, dig a hole and raise the corner posts and set in concrete. Make sure you level them so they're vertical. Then, the next day, it's a simple matter of attaching each wall to the uprights. You'll use a bit more lumber but it's now as intimidating and much easier to attach the wire.

Good Luck!

1 person likes this.
  5. NickChillPhoto

NickChillPhoto Out Of The Brooder

Apr 24, 2016
    Decorah, IA
    My Coop
    Sounds like something I should have done. Now ya tell me... =P

6. Gundawg

Gundawg Out Of The Brooder

May 21, 2016
    Ridgefield, WA
    Youtube I have learned a bunch on there buy a swanson speed square $10 and watch a few videos on how to use it. Do a google search for rafter calculator if you are making a roof. The calculator will tell you how long to make your rafters and the speed square will show you how to lay them out. You need a level and a framing square also use screws instead of nails so when you get it wrong you can take it apart and try again.

Mike

7. aart

aart Chicken Juggler! Premium Member

Nov 27, 2012
    SW Michigan
    My Coop
    Or building a wooden fence....for the post and stringer install....then use the mesh instead of fence boards.

8. kaybee123

kaybee123 Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 16, 2013
    Thanks everyone. I hope to start tackling this tomorrow with a friend!

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by