No Cecal Poo in 24hours please help

Discussion in 'Emergencies / Diseases / Injuries and Cures' started by winekntrychicks, Jan 19, 2010.

1. winekntrychicks

winekntrychicks Pooper Peeper

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    My EE is molting and wasting away. She has an eats fine, but her breastbone has no meat on it. None, I let her out to free range she eats and scratches around. I brought her in to monitor. She has not had one Stinky Cecal poo in the last 24 hours. What could be wrong? She is 2 years old.

2. Dar

Dar Overrun With Chickens

Jul 31, 2008
    worms maybe?

3. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    I thought of that. She is being treated. She has green legs normally but right now they seem really dry white and flakey in patches. Wonder is this has to do with molting?

4. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    What are you giving her to eat?

Try anything....scrambled egg, well cooked pasta, chopped up leftover chicken or beef...anything to get her to eat.

Is she drinking?

Does she have mites or lice?

5. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    she has no lice, no mites. I am a sticker for those kinds of things. She eats fine. She is week but very alert. She is protesting being in the shower/glass enclosure.

6. greenfamilyfarms

greenfamilyfarms Big Pippin'

Feb 27, 2008
    Elizabethtown, NC
    Quote:How you describe her legs sounds like scaley leg mites. Cover her legs with vaseline (or VetRX) to help get rid of them. Make sure she is getting a good quality feed with at least 16-18% protein. Scratch grains will make her feel better if given as a treat. [​IMG]

7. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:How you describe her legs sounds like scaley leg mites. Cover her legs with vaseline (or VetRX) to help get rid of them. Make sure she is getting a good quality feed with at least 16-18% protein. Scratch grains will make her feel better if given as a treat. [​IMG]

Well, I would think that the other chickens would be having the same problem then, wouldn't they? Her legs scales are flat. Not raised. I am using eprinex/ivomec spot on for worming-I have been informed that eprinex should take care of any other critters. I have seen no worms in 48 hours. She is not having a cecal poo. That is my main concern. Thanks for your input. Appreciated.

8. purpletree23

purpletree23 Chillin' With My Peeps

May 15, 2009
    I wouldn't worry too much about not seeing a cecal poo. Her system might be off because of the worming. It's kinda rough on a chicken especially if she wasn't in great shape to begin with.

I would also coat her legs/feet with vaseline. Scaley leg mites starts with the symptoms you are describing. The raised scales comes next. Best to get it early.

Right now you have to get food into her. Have you tried scrambled eggs or chopped greens. She needs a lot of calories right now to rebuild herself.

Last edited: Jan 22, 2010
  9. winekntrychicks

Jul 26, 2008
    Sebastopol, CA
    Quote:Hi, thanks for the advice. I can't get her to eat hardboiled egg yolks or scrambled either. I mixed a little bread egg yolk and water in a blender and force fed her. What does the vaseline do? Thanks again.

10. mypicklebird

mypicklebird Chillin' With My Peeps

Aug 8, 2008
    Sonoma Co, CA
    Are her non cecal poops ok? Normal green/brown with white caps- a few times an hour. That tells you more if she is eating ok, rather than if you see her eating (or looking like she is eating). Feel her crop- is it full at night, and empty in the morning? If you put ivermectin on her at an appropriate dose, if she had scaly leg mite- they are dead/dying (though you will need to retreat in 2-3 weeks). Putting vaseline (or any other oily substance) is a non-drug way to try to address a mite issue. It works (or works somewhat) by smothering the mites. So you don't need to put anything on the legs of this individual. I would hazard a guess- if the bird is ill and very skinny- the legs will also look unhealthy.

How old is this bird? When did she last lay (if this is a hen)? Pick up your other (normal) birds and feel their crops, abdomen area, and keel. Compare to the ill one- what do you feel?

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by