No chick days?

Discussion in 'Meat Birds ETC' started by kizanne, Dec 23, 2011.

1. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    I was reading another post were someone lucked into .50 cornish as TSC during chick days. Well yesterday when I was in TSC I asked when was chick days hoping to get a deal or pick up a egg layer or two.

Lady said at least our store was not having chick days this year. WHAT!!!

I know they are not the best place to buy chicks but hey around here try getting an australorp and I don't need 25 of them.

2. Oregon Blues

Oregon Blues Overrun With Chickens

Apr 14, 2011
    Central Oregon
    I think the 50 cent Cornish were chicks that didn't sell. They get ugly fast and the stores drop the price to get rid of them. Doesn't make any sense to me. They should be worth more after putting weeks of feed into them. Heck, a 2 week old Cornish X is a quarter of the way to butcher age and he's eaten a lot of feed.

3. Fred's Hens

Fred's Hens Chicken Obsessed Premium Member

I confess. I often go to the rural store on the day before I know they get their next shipment of chicks. The manager "makes me a deal". I've often been offered chicks that were selling for $2.50 for 99 cents or similar. [​IMG] Sneaky, I know. But I'm just trying to help the brother out. [​IMG][​IMG]

4. kizanne

kizanne Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 28, 2011
    Tallahassee, FL
    Well I love a good bargain too. And hey nobody cares if your meaties are hatchery chicks LOL.

It is also an opportunity to pick up a small number of birds if you want to add a few to your flock.

But ours isn't doing it. They said another store in the area wasn't keeping the pens clean.

I don't know what that store was doing but our TSC pretty much was selling out of chicks with in 4 hours for most shipments. The did have some ducks longer than that.

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by