No chick feed?!?!

Discussion in 'Raising Baby Chicks' started by okie-chick93, Apr 14, 2017.

1. okie-chick93

okie-chick93 Out Of The Brooder

Mar 22, 2017
    I have no chick feed and it was last min I took in some baby chicks today... [​IMG] I can't get to the store for a week. I have layer feed but that's all..... Is there anything I can do till I can get to the store for chick feed?

2. Leah567

Leah567 Hopelessly Addicted Premium Member

Apr 3, 2017
    Texas
    My Coop
    I wouldn't give them layer feed because it is too high in calcium and can shut down their kidneys. I would just crumble some bread and give it to them. But make sure they have plenty of grit.

3. KDOGG331

KDOGG331 Chicken Obsessed

Jan 18, 2008
    Massachusetts
    Bread isn't really the most nutritious thing either.

Do you have some BOSS, corn, or whole grains you could give them?

4. Shezadandy

Shezadandy Chillin' With My Peeps

Sep 26, 2015
    Portland OR
    Do any of your neighbors have chickens? Maybe they've got some "all flock" or "flock raiser" or "start and grow" you can borrow?

5. sas212

sas212 Just Hatched

Mar 31, 2017
    Southwestern Idaho
    Some scrambled eggs with cooked brown rice, maybe? I messaged you.

6. okie-chick93

Mar 22, 2017
    I'll try the brown rice and eggs. None of my neighbors have chickens. I live in town and I'm lucky since I'm right where zoned agriculture starts so I can have them. But I only have one other neighbor who's also zoned ag and he doesn't have chickens.

1 person likes this.
  7. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    Hard boiled egg is fine as well, they will go nuts over the crumbled egg yolk. I always start my new hatchlings on hard boiled egg yolk to get them eating and then switch to crumble.

8. okie-chick93

Mar 22, 2017
    Thanks everyone for the advice! But now a new prob has come up [​IMG] One has a clogged up snotty nose. I've never seen little sick chicks like this. So gotta figure that one out now....

9. Chicken Chat

Chicken Chat Chillin' With My Peeps

Jul 19, 2009
    Southern Illinois
    I've never seen that so not sure...... Are they in a draft? I'm wondering what the conditions were or what they were around before you got them.

10. okie-chick93

Mar 22, 2017

I have them in a spare room inside my house with the vents closed and a heat lamp. The rooms comfortably warm. And the rest of our house is at 71 with the vents open... So its not cold in that room.... And Where they were before they had a heat lamp but it was EXTREMELY over crowded! A TON of little ones.... I texted her and asked if any of her others were sick she said no....
    I've had chicks before I got from atwoods and never had any get sick and these I've only had 2 days from this girl...

Last edited: Apr 16, 2017

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by