No chick starter

bobshere

Songster
7 Years
Apr 2, 2014
Beautiful Northern Ontario
I live up in Northern Ontario. I was fortunate enough to be able to bring my pair of Japanese Bantams in the basement for the winter. So the little girl started laying 3 weeks ago. I’m putting the eggs in the incubator as I get them. The problem I have is nobody carries chick starter around here this time of year. What would one substitute with? Chick grower and grind it up? Supplement protein? Any advice would be great. Thanks

I hear hard-boiled eggs, all mashed up, is good starter; bread is not a healthy food for chicks to rely on as it will swell in their stomachs and hurt them if they eat too much.

Neither bread nor crackers have enough protein nor do they have any sort of vitamin supplements, which are essential to the health of any growing chick.

I would straight out feed layer feed if those were the only other two options. Too much calcium can cause kidney damage, but it's better than complete malnutrition.

I would use chick grower mashed up. or, if you can get them, gamebird or meat bird (my store sells 22%. You don't want lower than 16%) crumbles. Those have high protein, though they have a little less in the vitamin/mineral department. Allflock feed will also work, possibly better.

Neither bread nor crackers have enough protein nor do they have any sort of vitamin supplements, which are essential to the health of any growing chick.

I would straight out feed layer feed if those were the only other two options. Too much calcium can cause kidney damage, but it's better than complete malnutrition.

I would use chick grower mashed up. or, if you can get them, gamebird or meat bird (my store sells 22%. You don't want lower than 16%) crumbles. Those have high protein, though they have a little less in the vitamin/mineral department. Allflock feed will also work, possibly better.
Good post! The above or you could order some from Amazon.
https://www.amazon.ca/s/ref=nb_sb_s...efix=Chick+starter,aps,210&crid=38BIZP0983HUX

:goodpost:

This.

I live up in Northern Ontario. I was fortunate enough to be able to bring my pair of Japanese Bantams in the basement for the winter. So the little girl started laying 3 weeks ago. I’m putting the eggs in the incubator as I get them. The problem I have is nobody carries chick starter around here this time of year. What would one substitute with? Chick grower and grind it up? Supplement protein? Any advice would be great. Thanks
I would order a small bag online. just a few chicks will be fine with a small bag of starter and then switch them to the chick grower once that is out.

Back
Top Bottom