No chickens allowed UNLESS for educational purposes.....?!?!?!

Discussion in 'Local Chicken Laws & Ordinances (and how to change' started by newleywedchick, Feb 28, 2012.

1. newleywedchick

newleywedchick New Egg

Feb 27, 2012
    I haven't got backyard chickens yet...
    I haven't even got a backyard yet!
    But like a good girl I'm doing my research.
    The ordinances I've found for Cedar Hill, Texas say that no chickens may be kept unless for educational purposes... Can anyone suggest some "clubs" or "chicken schools" I can make my future brood legit with?

2. corvidae

corvidae Chillin' With My Peeps

Feb 27, 2011
    Utah
    Hey, I homeschool and would certainly consider chickens educationsla for my sons. Look online for Homeschooling groups in your area and see if you can present it to them as educational for them--Most homeschoolers would jump at the chance to have their kids learn about life cycle (hatching), raising farm animals, feed and care of chickens, etc!

3. SillyChicken

SillyChicken Overrun With Chickens

Jan 12, 2010
    I'll never understand the difference....... having chickens, is having chickens... why is the purpose any different? The birds still, cluck, poop and lay eggs.... the whole reasoning for education vs food and enjoyment is stupid to me! Not like you're going to do a dissection of one of the birds... cause if you ask me, that would be part of educating kids....... sorry just complaining here, and not directing at anyone. If one can have them for "educational purposes", one should be able to have them for what ever they want.

4. PrettyCoy

PrettyCoy Chillin' With My Peeps

Mar 9, 2011
    Sec. 3-48. - Eligibility to keep certain animals.
    In order to keep any of the farm animals listed in section 3-47 of this article for educational purposes, the person responsible for the care and feeding of the animal or animals shall be enrolled as a student in a vocational agriculture course sanctioned by the state education agency, and such animals must be maintained by the student as a vocational agriculture project the maintenance of which will affect that student's grade.

I'm not sure if homeschooling or even 4-H would count, I hope you can find a way to have them!​

BackYard Chickens is proudly sponsored by